Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Adam Haberlach <ad...@newsnipple.com> on 2000/02/10 20:49:46 UTC

Installation troubles...

	As I mentioned, I am getting to the nitty-gritty part
of my installation.  I have managed to get Apache working with
the jserv module, and am no stranger to Unix installs.  I'm
working with a fresh Debian Linux box.

	My goal is to be able to create structure documents
to use as QA validation test reports.  They should be something
that a small team can work on, visible on the web, and eventually
printed to be given to clients.

Problem #1: I'm confused as to which versions of Xerces, Xalan, and
Cocoon I should be using.  Do I need .jar files?  Do I need
sources?  Where do I put them?

Problem #2: Cocoon_1.0.tar.gz does not seem to build.  When I
unpack it and edit the BuildSetup file and attempt to run it,
I get file not found errors.  When I manually set the variable,
I get strange Make errors trying to include Makefile.incl.  I
believe that the files got formatted as DOS text somewhere before
they were uploaded, which causes all kinds of problems with
GNU make.

Problem #3: When I follow the http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/install.html
procedure with Xerces-J-src.1.0.0.tar.gz, I don't get the same
files listed.

	I guess I could go on, but I'll wait and see if I can
get any of these resolved before I go much further.  Any help
would be appreciated.

--
Adam Haberlach             |"Software religious wars are boring
adam@newsnipple.com        |  unless its face to face with

Re: Installation troubles...

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Adam Haberlach wrote:

> Thanks for the help--I seem to have things to the point where
> Cocoon will complain about lack of a DTD, so I just need to
> find some .xml/.xsl files to test with.

Try the included examples in the subdirectory samples.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, software development

Re: Installation troubles...

Posted by Adam Haberlach <ad...@newsnipple.com>.
On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 09:28:24PM -0600, Brett McLaughlin wrote:

> Adam Haberlach wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 01:54:30PM -0600, Brett McLaughlin wrote:
> No problem.  This is part of xerces.jar (the serializer), being
> generated in the use of xalan.jar.  Make sure both these jars are in
> your servlet engine's classpath (not the servlet *zone*, but the
> *engine*.  In JServ this is jserv.properties, wrapper.classpath).
>
> Hope that helps.  Let us know if it doesn't.

Looks like I had an outdated (1.0.0) version of xerces.jar that I
picked up in the big install shuffle last night.

Thanks for the help--I seem to have things to the point where
Cocoon will complain about lack of a DTD, so I just need to
find some .xml/.xsl files to test with.

--
Adam Haberlach             |BeOS: it's nothing that somebody hasn't done before.
adam@newsnipple.com        | Until now, something that nobody has done right.

Re: Installation troubles...

Posted by Brett McLaughlin <br...@earthlink.net>.

Adam Haberlach wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 01:54:30PM -0600, Brett McLaughlin wrote:
>
> > just the .jar files.  Get them from http://xml.apache.org/dist, get the
> > latest binary archive, uncompress this, and use xerces.jar and xalan.jar
> > from within those.  The latest version (full) of Cocoon is 1.6.1 I
> > believe, get it from CVS (even newer) or same location
> > (http://xml.apache.org/dist).  You want the Cocoon.jar file out of
> > there.
>
>         I think maybe I am newer to Java then I though.  My current
> hang-up is at the included error.  Does anyone know which jars I need
> for this class?

No problem.  This is part of xerces.jar (the serializer), being
generated in the use of xalan.jar.  Make sure both these jars are in
your servlet engine's classpath (not the servlet *zone*, but the
*engine*.  In JServ this is jserv.properties, wrapper.classpath).

Hope that helps.  Let us know if it doesn't.

-Brett

Re: Installation troubles...

Posted by Adam Haberlach <ad...@newsnipple.com>.
On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 01:54:30PM -0600, Brett McLaughlin wrote:

> just the .jar files.  Get them from http://xml.apache.org/dist, get the
> latest binary archive, uncompress this, and use xerces.jar and xalan.jar
> from within those.  The latest version (full) of Cocoon is 1.6.1 I
> believe, get it from CVS (even newer) or same location
> (http://xml.apache.org/dist).  You want the Cocoon.jar file out of
> there.

	I think maybe I am newer to Java then I though.  My current
hang-up is at the included error.  Does anyone know which jars I need
for this class?

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error creating org.apache.cocoon.transformer.XalanTransformer:
make sure the needed classes can be found in the classpath (org/apache/xml/serialize/BaseMarkupSerializer)
        at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java:102)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.(Engine.java:133)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.getInstance(Engine.java:195)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:119)
        at org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.load_init(JServServletManager.java:569)
        at org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.loadServlet(JServServletManager.java:488)
        at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.processRequest(JServConnection.java:266)
        at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run(JServConnection.java:188)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Re: Installation troubles...

Posted by Brett McLaughlin <br...@earthlink.net>.

Adam Haberlach wrote:

>         As I mentioned, I am getting to the nitty-gritty part
> of my installation.  I have managed to get Apache working with
> the jserv module, and am no stranger to Unix installs.  I'm
> working with a fresh Debian Linux box.

It's all Java, so if you have a servlet engine, then the rest should be
platform independent (*should be*)

>         My goal is to be able to create structure documents
> to use as QA validation test reports.  They should be something
> that a small team can work on, visible on the web, and eventually
> printed to be given to clients.
>
> Problem #1: I'm confused as to which versions of Xerces, Xalan, and
> Cocoon I should be using.  Do I need .jar files?  Do I need
> sources?  Where do I put them?

just the .jar files.  Get them from http://xml.apache.org/dist, get the
latest binary archive, uncompress this, and use xerces.jar and xalan.jar
from within those.  The latest version (full) of Cocoon is 1.6.1 I
believe, get it from CVS (even newer) or same location
(http://xml.apache.org/dist).  You want the Cocoon.jar file out of
there.

> Problem #2: Cocoon_1.0.tar.gz does not seem to build.  When I
> unpack it and edit the BuildSetup file and attempt to run it,
> I get file not found errors.  When I manually set the variable,
> I get strange Make errors trying to include Makefile.incl.  I
> believe that the files got formatted as DOS text somewhere before
> they were uploaded, which causes all kinds of problems with
> GNU make.

1.0?  This strikes me as really old.  You shouldn't be using make to
build Cocoon anyway, use ant; instructions are in build.xml.

> Problem #3: When I follow the http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/install.html
> procedure with Xerces-J-src.1.0.0.tar.gz, I don't get the same
> files listed.

Don't need to do this, just get the .jar file (see above).

=Brett