Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2005/11/11 23:18:47 UTC

[collections] BoundedBuffer

I'm working on the BoundedBuffer implementation right now.  But, I've got a
question for you folks.  What do you think a reasonable default would be for
the timeout value?  Should it wait forever by default (like TimeoutBuffer
does) or should it immediately throw a BufferOverflowException?

RE: [collections] BoundedBuffer

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
That's the way I have it now.  I thought that'd be more appropriate.  The
TimeoutBuffer does the opposite, though.  If someone's going to use a
TimeoutBuffer, then they will want to wait for some period of time.
Otherwise, they'd just use the enclosed Buffer which would throw a
BufferUnderflowException immediately.

> I'm working on the BoundedBuffer implementation right now.  But, I've got
> question for you folks.  What do you think a reasonable default would be
for
> the timeout value?  Should it wait forever by default (like TimeoutBuffer
> does) or should it immediately throw a BufferOverflowException?

Unless the class is named something like WaitBuffer then it should
fail immediately by default. A programmer who isn't paying attention
would be confused why their program just seems to hang if the default
behavior was to block for a while.

--
Sandy McArthur

Re: [collections] BoundedBuffer