Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/12/01 18:19:34 UTC

Re: Fwd: ApacheCON EU Budapest is history but will forever be remembered.

On 11/21/2014 03:45 PM, jan i wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> As one who participated in apacheCON Budapest and had an awesome week,let
> me simply congratulate Rich Bowen as "mr apacheCON", The Linux Foundation
> Team as producer and everybody who helped make it happen.
>
> To all of you JOB WELL DONE !!!

Amen and amen. Things could hardly have gone better (except if more of
you were there), and the venue was absolutely gorgeous. A huge thank you
to all of the people that worked so hard to make me look good. ;-)

> As I told LF, my only complaint is that I cannot find anything to complain
> about.

In all seriousness, my complaint is that there were so few of us there.
We clearly need to a better job of articulating to our committers and
their employees the value of this event. I will be attempting, over the
coming weeks, to begin to articulate this, in various places, probably
starting with my blog, but also looking for other places to preach the
gospel, and will be looking for your help in doing this.

> ApacheCON seems to use bigger shoes everytime (looking at the foot print),
> so I look forward to see how apacheCON Austin will be even more awesome.
>
> To those of you who was not there.....mark 13th - 17th april 2015 in your
> calendars and come to apacheCON NA in Austin texas.

+1

Start working on your budget folks there to free up some dollars to send
you, and also to sponsor the event. Please see
https://blogs.apache.org/conferences/entry/apachecon_north_america_returns_to
for the specific ways that we need your help leading up to Austin.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: ApacheCON EU Budapest is history but will forever be remembered.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 7 December 2014 at 00:37, Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> wrote:

> On 12/6/2014 7:56 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> > I'm sure that active people (committers, say) who were not in Budapest
> > explicitly decided not to come. So the problem is not awareness, but
> > perceived value in the context: these are just invented examples, but
> > they may have decided not to attend due a busy period, to travel costs,
> > to the conference fee, to a perception that they wouldn't make enough
> > business contacts if this was important to them...
> >
> > Of course I can't guess why others didn't come, but guessing/asking for
> > that would probably help for future events.
>
> I can't recall whether I explicitly saw any early promotion regarding
> Budapest.  I was interested in going, but the location immediately
> eliminated it from consideration simply due to cost for travel and
> accommodations.  Questions about the cost of the conference, as well as
> passport and visa requirements, weren't even considered.
>
> I am going to try VERY hard to make it to the next North America event
> in Austin.  If I can make it, it will be my first Apache event.  Google
> Maps says it's a 19 or 20 hour drive from my current location in Salt
> Lake City.  I happen to know someone who lives there, so accommodations
> may also end up being very cheap.
>
> One thing that's not clear from the Austin registration page is what the
> cost (if any) is for spouses to attend the conference, assuming I can
> convince mine to come.  The committer registration fee is $275 or $375
> depending on the date of registration, but it's not clear whether that
> is per-person, and how it applies to spouses.

HI

That sounds like a long drive to me....but being in the EU we might see
distances differently.

The registration fee is pr person, but the evening events tend to have a
more relaxed approach...at ACEU budapest spouses ended up getting an
invitation for the evening events.

rgds
jan i.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 12/06/2014 06:37 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> One thing that's not clear from the Austin registration page is what the
> cost (if any) is for spouses to attend the conference, assuming I can
> convince mine to come.  The committer registration fee is $275 or $375
> depending on the date of registration, but it's not clear whether that
> is per-person, and how it applies to spouses.

Your spouse and kids are welcome as our guest.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 04/12/2014 jan i wrote:
> I read what you are saying, but  we actually sent a lot of mails out, my
> concern is that more mails would just be spam.

Late as usual, I join the group, thanking all people involved for
organizing a great event. And I believe that promotion was absolutely
enough.

> Do you have a suggestion as to how we get the attention of people (PMCs and
> everybody who potentially would/will come) ?

I'm sure that active people (committers, say) who were not in Budapest
explicitly decided not to come. So the problem is not awareness, but
perceived value in the context: these are just invented examples, but
they may have decided not to attend due a busy period, to travel costs,
to the conference fee, to a perception that they wouldn't make enough
business contacts if this was important to them...

Of course I can't guess why others didn't come, but guessing/asking for
that would probably help for future events.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: ApacheCON EU Budapest is history but will forever be remembered.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Dec 2, 2014 8:35 AM, "Matt Franklin" <m....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon Dec 01 2014 at 12:22:29 PM Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

> Even as someone who knew that it was happening, and roughly when it was
> going to be, I missed major milestone announcements.  IMO, improving
> awareness though additional communications, especially from PMCs, would
> help a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion. We will be sure to attempt to communicate more
via the PMCs this time around.

Re: Fwd: ApacheCON EU Budapest is history but will forever be remembered.

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.