Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Dave <wb...@comcast.net> on 2005/05/02 23:44:24 UTC

Log4j 1.3 alpha

Hello all and thanks for the help with my recent chainsaw question,

My question is : I am considering whether to move from log4j 1.2.9 to log4j
alpha 1.3

The reason being to be able to use the 1.3 socket appender so I can receive
location data in chainsaw V2

I am using log4j 1.2.9 in Rational WSAD with JRE 1.4.2.05. Is there any
possible pitfalls I should be awair of?

Thanks
Dave

Re: Log4j 1.3 alpha

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On May 2, 2005, at 4:44 PM, Dave wrote:

> Hello all and thanks for the help with my recent chainsaw question,
>
> My question is : I am considering whether to move from log4j 1.2.9 to
> log4j
> alpha 1.3
>
> The reason being to be able to use the 1.3 socket appender so I can
> receive
> location data in chainsaw V2
>
> I am using log4j 1.2.9 in Rational WSAD with JRE 1.4.2.05. Is there any
> possible pitfalls I should be awair of?

While we really appreciate feedback on pre-release versions, there are
reasons that it is designated "alpha" and you should be aware that
there are known bugs (hopefully logged in Bugzilla which might be a
good resource to find pitfalls), features are subject to change and
should not be used in any production system.  If you are considering
living life on the edge, you should go all the way and use the CVS
HEAD, the last alpha is getting fairly old and we are would benefit
from feedback as we approach beta 1.

Please know that I would really like to restore the binary
compatibility in different versions of socket appender and have started
some preliminary work, but can't predict when that would be complete.
So hopefully in some happy world, Chainsaw will not care if it is
talking to v1.2 or v1.3 of log4j (and even further out log4cxx or
log4net).