Posted to dev@ratis.apache.org by William Song <sz...@163.com> on 2022/07/27 09:06:53 UTC

potential risk on GrpcService

Hi,

Currently NettyServerBuilder uses 0.0.0.0 as service address upon starting, see[1]. Listening on 0.0.0.0 is potentially a bad practice, since anything else on the same network can interact with it. Is is possible to make this address a configuration entry so that the administrator can have control on the address?

Regards,
William

[1]. https://github.com/apache/ratis/blob/d3a0f9491f17462555c8fe522cbdc2ea4c88ef3b/ratis-grpc/src/main/java/org/apache/ratis/grpc/server/GrpcService.java#L219

Re: potential risk on GrpcService

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@gmail.com>.
Hi William,

Sure, we should make it configurable.  Recently, we changed Netty; see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RATIS-1615 .  We should make a
similar change to gRPC.

Tsz-Wo