Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rohnny Moland <rm...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/29 09:57:30 UTC

[m2] Adding a pre-process stage to the maven build

Hi,

Is it a way I can specify the order of what should be build? If I have
a root pom with two trees, lets say one is the dev-tools and the other
is my business artifacts. I want to specify that the dev-tools should
be build (and installed) _before_ the business artifacts because the
business artifacts are dependent on the dev-tools.

In other words: What I am looking for is a way to create multiple
build stages in maven, without having a shell script that do that for
me. :)

Thanks in advance,
Rohnny

Re: [m2] Adding a pre-process stage to the maven build

Posted by Steinar Overbeck Cook <st...@balder.no>.
Sounds to me that this should be solved using <dependencies> in the
various projects.

That is how we do it, anyway. Assume that B must be built before A,
because A depends upon B:

I.e. in your super-pom:
  <modules>
	<module>
	</module>
	<module>
	</module>
</modules>

in A's pom
	<dependency>
		<groupId>your_group_id</groupId>
		<artifactId>B</artifact>
	</dependency>

On 29. nov. 2006, at 09.57, Rohnny Moland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it a way I can specify the order of what should be build? If I have
> a root pom with two trees, lets say one is the dev-tools and the other
> is my business artifacts. I want to specify that the dev-tools should
> be build (and installed) _before_ the business artifacts because the
> business artifacts are dependent on the dev-tools.
>
> In other words: What I am looking for is a way to create multiple
> build stages in maven, without having a shell script that do that for
> me. :)
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Rohnny

Steinar Cook
steinar@balder.no

Re: [m2] Adding a pre-process stage to the maven build

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, Rohnny,

Well, you "can" create your own build. lifecycle, but i think you'd have to
fork another maven execution to apply your own build lifecycle.

But if you want to do that to take care of dependencies amongst module,
don't worry. Maven handles those automatically.

Cheers,
Franz