Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by janI <ja...@apache.org> on 2013/03/28 02:09:43 UTC

wiki.openoffice.org is down, and pam is not runing so sudo is not possible.

hi.

I just got an alert that wiki is down (1 night in spain), and it seems to
have a severe problem, prohibiting me from doing sudo and restoring it. The
people at infra-root who have backdoor access is not available on irc at
the moment, so I hope they will notice during the next hours. I need them
to reboot, because a lot of services simply stopped running (incl. pam and
mysql).

I will check on the situation in the morning (about 8 hours from now).

rgds
jan I.

Re: wiki.openoffice.org is down, and pam is not runing so sudo is not possible.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 31 March 2013 13:55, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:

>     OK.  I gained control to ooo-wiki2-vm now, with the help from Gavin
> (gmcdonald).  The system is updated, and ooo-wiki2-vm is scheduled to
> reboot on 4/1 0:00am GMT+0, 12 hours from now.

Super, thanks !!!

I left you a message on #asfinfra, about the raw devices (reboot, causes
loss of raw devices), hopefully that was solved, otherwise mwiki will be
down 12 hours from now.

rgds
Jan I.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

On 2013/03/28 18:36, janI said:
> [...]
> when I asked on the list why, I got the following answer:
>    "Today there are 80 people online, we want to be able to see regulars"
>
> I am not infra, it seems I lack some skills and I dont like being second
> rank (while doing a lot of work), so that was the day I decided to stay off
> the channel, if being online and active daily for months is not "regular"
> then it is not a place for me.
>
> The nagios alert woke me up last night, and it took me small 3 hours to get
> it back online (with the help of gmcdonald), and I asked myself why do this
> when I am seen as a non regular second rank person.
>
> So please consider this my notice from mwiki.
>
> I will not spent time providing a service level in a project which I am not
> considered part of, I will leave that to those who are part of infra/AOO
> and concentrate my programming work here in AOO where my work at least is

Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 29 March 2013 00:20, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> janI wrote:

> The "Infra wishlist" we discussed here a while ago will be sent to Infra
> soon, in time for the Apache budget discussion. The list will include the
> suggestion that we can receive official support from Infra for our LAMP
> applications (wiki, forum). Of course we will continue and try to build a
> small team of project volunteers, but it would be very nice to know that
> Infra is monitoring our sites too.
>
>  - All our changes are documented in infra svn
>>>>
>>> Is it accessible via an Url?
>>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/**infra/infrastructure/trunk/**
>> machines/vms/ooo-wiki2-vm<https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/machines/vms/ooo-wiki2-vm>
>>

> It is a protected repository, I cannot access it. This is understandable.
> But I assume that all Infra people have access to it.

Yes

>  A couple of weeks ago, #asfinfra started using a ranking system (my word

> I almost never visit #asfinfra and I have no idea why this was done (maybe
> it has practical reasons, to see how many people can respond to an incident
> by changing configuration files... who knows), but I don't think this was
> done to put people like you in a "second rank". Even though this is not
> related to OpenOffice, every demotivating action should be justified, so I
> would recommend to discuss this on the infrastructure list.

I wrote it to explain why it is not in my power to provide the services we
discussed earlier that I should provide. I have no intention of discussing
this subject on this list.

>  I will no longer get up during the night getting mwiki back online and in
>> general only respond to service alerts when I happen to be on my pc. This
>> will probably lead to longer downtimes
>>

> This is a sane approach. As much as I appreciate your effort to restore
> the wiki while it's night in Europe, we cannot ask volunteers to be always
> available. A small team of geographically distributed volunteers with
> official backup from Infra seems the best solution.

Totally agree, and I have prepared myself for being part of such a team, by
learning a lot about our internal structures as well as infra. Today I
think I have a deep knowledge on both subjects.

>  translate-vm is another issue, we are still waiting for a pottle release,
>> andrea asked the pottle guys but as far as I know did not get a reply.
>>

> Yes, no replies so far about the availability of Pootle 2.5.
>

>  The main question for me is how we can improve the overall situation. We
>>> need infra and the support from them, we want integrate us but want to
>>> be accepted as well. We have special requirements based on the history
>>> of our project, changes require a lot of work.
>>>

> A first step in improving relationships will be the "wishlist", i.e.,
> telling Infra in advance what we might need. The many needs of the
> OpenOffice project, especially the legacy ones, have been quite annoying to
> Infra also because they came after resources (people and money) had been
> allocated. Let's start by changing this.

A wishlist is a needed thing, for hardware and other money resources. BUT
infra is not a paid project (apart from a little handfull, that does a big
job coordinating the rest and running some very core services), it is
committers like you and I. All the sites I have seen, are being maintained
by infra-committers. In my humble  opinion the wishlist should contain a
wish for a small team that are part of both projects (infra/aoo), we supply
the people who either are or will become infra-committers.

rgds
Jan I.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 28 March 2013 12:04, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/28/13 11:36 AM, janI wrote:

> >> thanks for taking care of it

> >> requiring
> >> (raw

> havent

> >> We can summarize/document the things that are most important to know and
> >> how typical problems have to be addressed. How to get notified and how
> >> start the necessary steps.
> >>
> > It is documented, more than it have ever been.
> > - Ubuntu/ATS/httpd/mysql/mwiki maintenance is documented on the
> respective
> > sites
> > - All our changes are documented in infra svn
>
> perfect, good to know that.
>
> Is it accessible via an Url?

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/machines/vms/ooo-wiki2-vm

and of course also puppet svn.

> >  Searching for volunteers who are really committed and able to fix
> >> problems. And who are interested to build the necessary minimal skills.
> >>
> > Define the communication plan in case of any problems, who start working
> >> on it etc to avoid duplicate work.
> >>

> > The same for other critical services. I know it is not easy to find
> >> enough people to cover it completely but it should be our goal to staff
> >> a small (but working) team of volunteers.
> >>

> >> Keeping in mind that a working infra structure with important running
> >> services is important and keeping it running is a very important and
> >> valuable contribution to the project.
> >>

> > I totally agree on that point, which is why I have been active daily for
> 4
> > month on #asfinfra helping with different issues (more non AOO than
> AOO), I
> > thought I had earned some merit, but it seems I lack some skills to be
> part
> > of that project.
>
> you mean part of the infra project?

yes

> I have to confess that I forget often to go online on IRC and do it more
> on demand. But I had times where I was online often, and on #asfinfra as
> well.
>

> > I understand from the comment, that the point I tried to make was not
> > direct enough, so let me make it clear.
> >
> > At the moment there are 5 AOO committers (if I count correctly) who are
> > also Infra committers and passive online more or less daily on #asfinfra
> (2
> > online last night and a third logged on during the incident).
> >
> > A couple of weeks ago, #asfinfra started using a ranking system (my word
> > for it). Infra committers had a + added to their nick (was given voice),
> > when I asked on the list why, I got the following answer:
> >    "Today there are 80 people online, we want to be able to see regulars"
> >
> > I am not infra, it seems I lack some skills and I dont like being second
> > rank (while doing a lot of work), so that was the day I decided to stay
> off
> > the channel, if being online and active daily for months is not "regular"
> > then it is not a place for me.
>
> can totally understand you
>

> > The nagios alert woke me up last night, and it took me small 3 hours to
> get
> > it back online (with the help of gmcdonald), and I asked myself why do
> this
> > when I am seen as a non regular second rank person.
> >
> > So please consider this my notice from mwiki.
>
> you mean you will not longer take care of mwiki? If I understand you
> correct I hope you will still support it until we have an alternative.
> At the moment you are the man with the best knowledge here.

I will no longer get up during the night getting mwiki back online and in
general only respond to service alerts when I happen to be on my pc. This
will probably lead to longer downtimes (for the lasts indidents I reacted
within 10minutes).

I can and will apply patches (imacat used to do it) if no one beats me to
it, but in a much lower priority than e.g. my l10n work.

> > I will not spent time providing a service level in a project which I am
> not
> > considered part of, I will leave that to those who are part of infra/AOO
> > and concentrate my programming work here in AOO where my work at least is
> > being seen essential.
>
> Again I can totally understand you, I had my own experience as well with
> the Pootle server... (which still needs some attention).

translate-vm is another issue, we are still waiting for a pottle release,
andrea asked the pottle guys but as far as I know did not get a reply.
There are plenty of other maintenance work to do and it would be good to
have it done before we start translating 4.0, but for me lower priority
than AOO work where I am acknowledged for the work I do.

> The main question for me is how we can improve the overall situation. We
> need infra and the support from them, we want integrate us but want to
> be accepted as well. We have special requirements based on the history
> of our project, changes require a lot of work. We need people and an
> environment where people feel comfortable and accepted and where they
> get the credits for their "volunteer" work.

I am still available, and would still like to help out, but not in the
current situation. I like doing volunteer work but as you write motivation
is the credit. Being committer in a project is not only a bit in svn, to me
it is about the highest motivation I can get (and of course the opposite,
when you work hard and see nothing).

I slowly come deeper into our special needs, like www, mwiki buildbot etc,
so I am convince I would be valuable as a combined aoo/infra person....but
that is not for to judge or do something about.

> I think we can first discuss the options we have, can again search the
> dialog with infra and if it won't work we can think about the next step.

I dont think there are soo much to discuss, we need mwiki, pottle, www and
we need someone that has a leg in both project and are actively working
with these issues. For a couple of month I saw myself as being the
frontrunner of a small team, but maybe some of those who have a leg in both
projects will step in.

rgds
jan I

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/28/13 11:36 AM, janI wrote:
> [...]

well.

> I understand from the comment, that the point I tried to make was not
> direct enough, so let me make it clear.
>
> At the moment there are 5 AOO committers (if I count correctly) who are
> also Infra committers and passive online more or less daily on #asfinfra (2
> online last night and a third logged on during the incident).
>
> A couple of weeks ago, #asfinfra started using a ranking system (my word
> for it). Infra committers had a + added to their nick (was given voice),
> when I asked on the list why, I got the following answer:
>    "Today there are 80 people online, we want to be able to see regulars"
>
> I am not infra, it seems I lack some skills and I dont like being second
> rank (while doing a lot of work), so that was the day I decided to stay off
> the channel, if being online and active daily for months is not "regular"

can totally understand you

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.