Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com> on 2013/01/30 18:25:16 UTC

Slow snapshots with KVM

Hello guys,

I was wondering if there is a way to speed up the creation of snapshots in CS + KVM? It seems that every time the snapshot is created an entire vm disk image is copied over from primary to secondary storage which could take ages if your images are 100GB+. I remember that taking images in vmware / xenserver takes minutes if not seconds. Does the problem relate to KVM or is it a CloudStack design issue of separating primary and secondary storage?

Many thanks

Andrei

Re: Slow snapshots with KVM

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.

Many thanks for all your answers. Indeed, the term Snapshot is a bit confusing, perhaps it should be called something else ))). The trouble with the term Snapshot here is that the users will think it's a Snapshot and will start using it left, right and centre without realising that it takes ages to do, especially if many people are doing that simultaneously and it consumes far more disk space compared with the traditional Snapshotting )))

________________________________

Re: Slow snapshots with KVM

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Re: Slow snapshots with KVM

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: Slow snapshots with KVM

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
Restoring a full backup to a point in time is 'easier' with full backups.
It's heavy on storage/networking relating to the operations. Delta's
maintain a reference to their parents so full backups are what you get when
you restore from a specific delta... with the efficiency in
networking/storage as a value add. It would be nice to see delta's in KVM.

Re: Slow snapshots with KVM

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Re: Slow snapshots with KVM

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.