Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Dave Lester <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/19 19:17:34 UTC

Usage of Mesos GitHub org for community plugins and modules

Hi All,

To push forward one portion of the conversation re: Mesos extension hosting
and a shared registry (MESOS-1759
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1759>), I'd like to suggest
that we begin using the existing Mesos GitHub org (https://github.com/mesos/)
for community frameworks and modules. This is already happening in practice
(see: mesos-go bindings, storm, hadoop + others already w/in the org),
however I don't think this has explicitly been called out as an opportunity
for folks to use.

IMHO, opening this up to all is a good idea. I'd also recommend explicitly
calling out the fact that while these projects are w/in the Mesos org on
GH, they are not explicitly Apache projects. Any objections or suggestions?

If this sounds good, I can add related documentation.

Dave

Re: Usage of Mesos GitHub org for community plugins and modules

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
We're definitely not going to get all of the Mesos frameworks migrated to
the Mesos github org, maybe not even all "community"
frameworks/modules/tools, but we should definitely welcome all willing to
contribute.
I also like the idea of a central registry for all
supported/experimental/proprietary frameworks, whether they are hosted in
the Mesos github org, a company github org, or elsewhere. Something that
would facilitate discovery of new/existing
frameworks/language-bindings/tools, advise on installation, link to
documentation, link to support channels (email/irc/etc).
A crude wiki would be a start, and it would allow anybody to easily add
their own content.

Posted by Dominic Hamon <dh...@twopensource.com>.

Posted by Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominic Hamon <dh...@twopensource.com>.

Posted by Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 seems like a simple start and should aid discovery

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominic Hamon <dh...@twopensource.com>.

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
Great idea. I have been suggesting this to others when appropriate.
It's also worth pointing out the successful history of the Mesos GitHub
org:
  Spark's pre-incubator github home was https://github.com/mesos/spark
Your project could be next!