Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> on 2006/08/14 22:36:52 UTC

Proposal: New distribution layout

we talked about this a while back and I've just now got around to
pulling this into an actual proposal ...

http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_DistributionLayout

nothing fancy right now, basically just setting up the distribution so
that the download isn't just the webapp.

-- Allen

Re: Proposal: New distribution layout

Posted by Dave Johnson <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 8/30/06, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
> yeah, i have just a few little things left on my list that we need for
> 3.0 ...
>
> 1. a UI control for weblog.pagemodels attribute.

Done. I added a field to the Weblog Settings page, only visible to
Global Admins.

> 2. add a db index on weblogentry.locale
>
> 3. we need a way to set weblogentry.locale = website.locale as part of
> the upgrade process.  i did this using pure sql for our upgrade, but the
> sql would not be the same for all dbs, so that's an issue.  technically
> we don't have to do this for the app to work since a null locale is
> still fine, but i think this is much better than leaving it null.

OK. So an RC is probably not going to happen today.

- Dave

Re: Proposal: New distribution layout

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Dave Johnson wrote:
> I'm going to run though an install or two today with the new distro
> layout, update the install guide and next try to get a release
> candidate ready.
>
> Allen: anything else you want to wrap up before RC?

yeah, i have just a few little things left on my list that we need for
3.0 ...

1. a UI control for weblog.pagemodels attribute.

2. add a db index on weblogentry.locale

3. we need a way to set weblogentry.locale = website.locale as part of
the upgrade process.  i did this using pure sql for our upgrade, but the
sql would not be the same for all dbs, so that's an issue.  technically
we don't have to do this for the app to work since a null locale is
still fine, but i think this is much better than leaving it null.

i think that's it.

-- Allen

Re: Acegi Security Question for Matt Raible

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/06, Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> This is ALMOST exactly what I was looking for, except it made me realize
> something: auto-provisioning needs to be done inside the Acegi plugins
> and not in RollerSession because the Acegi filter is the first to
> execute and it's not getting the initial admin/editor role is looking
> for to allow a user to proceed with an authenticated action.
>
> Any suggestions? Is it safe to access the UserManager inside an Acegi
> plugin? Is there a pre-filter we can configure? I'm just thinking outloud.

I can't answer these questions, but you could probably do some
filter-reordering (and possibly create a new one) to make this
possible.  You might also take a look at what Acegi has for SSO
solutions - maybe there's some re-usable ideas there.

Matt

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.
Matt,

Re: Acegi Security Question for Matt Raible (was: Re: Proposal: New distribution layout)

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.

Allen Gilliland wrote:

> Elias Torres wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> I've committed all of my changes including a base auto-provision feature.
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=438595
>
> this didn't go through the normal proposal process which is fine in this
> case, but i'd like to raise a couple minor concerns which i think are
> worth addressing ...

We were going to work on the proposal [1] but I guess David wanted this
done much quicker because of the RC release. I sent several emails on
the issue but I didn't hear any objections so I committed the code, on
the contrary, we have many interested on the new features.

[1]
http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_SingleSignOnOption

> 1. I think it would be more fitting to move the contents of
> AutoProvisioningHelper a little bit.  I think the check for if
> auto-provisioning is enabled should lie in the code segment that was
> added to RollerSession and the retrieval of the AutoProvision instance
> should come from RollerContext, i.e. ...
>
> // try one time to auto-provision, only happens if user==null
> // which means installation has SSO-enabled in security.xml
> if(user == null &&
> RollerConfig.getBooleanProperty("users.sso.autoProvision.enabled")) {
>
>   // provisioning enabled, get provisioner and execute
>   AutoProvision provisioner = RollerContext.getAutoProvision();
>   boolean userProvisioned = provisioner.execute();
>   if(userProvisioned) {
>     // try lookup again real quick
>     user = umgr.getUserByUserName(principal.getName());
>   }
> }

Much cleaner than what I did. I've checked it in.

> 2. The way getUserDetailsFromAuthentication() method works in
> CustomUserRegistry seems limiting since to support a new type of
> UserDetails would require modifying that class.  I'm not sure exactly
> how the appropriate implementation of UserDetails is chosen and
> instantiated, presumably by Acegi somehow, but I think that we need to
> force the use of a common interface like the RollerUserDetails interface
> by all integrating providers.  i.e. maybe when we cast the principal
> that we get from Acegi we need to force the use of RollerUserPrincipals?
>
> Object oPrincipal = authentication.getPrincipal();
> if (!(oPrincipal instanceof RollerUserDetails)) {
>       log.warn("Unsupported Principal type in Authentication. Skipping
> auto-registration.");
>       return null;
> }
>
> can we do both of those?
>
> -- Allen

The code you pasted is not the code I committed. The code I committed is
as follows:

    Object oPrincipal = authentication.getPrincipal();

    if (!(oPrincipal instanceof UserDetails)) { // ##1
      log.warn("Unsupported Principal...");
      return null;
    }

    UserDetails userDetails = (UserDetails) oPrincipal;

    if(userDetails instanceof RollerUserDetails) { // ##2
      RollerUserDetails rollerDetails = (RollerUserDetails) userDetails;

    } else if(userDetails instanceof LdapUserDetails) { // ##3
      LdapUserDetails ldapDetails = (LdapUserDetails) userDetails;
    }

##1 UserDetails is the base interface in Acegi Security to provide user
information. All UserDetailService implementation must return an object
of that interface. If not, we throw an unsupported warning and return
null, not likely to happen. Then (in ...) I'd get the basic user
information that applies to all UserDetail implementations and covers
80% of the information needed to register a new User.

##2 Here's where we support extra information. Let's say that someone
wanted to store specific information like timezone, locale in a custom
directory (not supported by Acegi Security) for Roller, then they would
have to implement their own UserDetailService and return something of
base type UserDetail and that it extends RollerUserDetails.
RollerUserDetails has all of the necessary required information for
UserData.

##3 It's the case for when they have an LDAP directory and they want to
get email and name from LDAP but have still the option to customize the
attributes.

I wouldn't want to force RollerUserDetails always because then either us
or our users would have to reimplement more from Acegi Security. The way
it is doesn't require any code for most cases, but if you want your own
custom implementation I don't think this class needs to be changed
anyways. At least that's what I had in mind.

-Elias

-Elias

Re: Proposal: New distribution layout

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.
Matt,

I think you probably missed this question since it was bundled up in
another email with a non-obvious subject, but I think this one should be
clear :)

-Elias

[snip]

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.