Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ulysses Cruz <ul...@ucruz.org> on 2004/09/23 19:22:03 UTC

Re: ***SPAM*** Problems with URIDNSBL Under Spamassassin 3.0?

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:52:03AM -0500, Sandy S whispered:
> I'm in the process of upgrading to Spamassassin 3.0 and am currently running
> my email through the new version of Spamassassin.  I just had an email slip
> through that should have been caught by the URIDNSBL lookups - it's listed
> in all of the URI blacklists.

snip the actual URIs
> It appears that instead of querying for wneiis-planet.info, Spamassassin is
> attempting to query the full URL.  wneiis-planet.info is listed in the URL
> RBLs, but tvuu.wneiis-planet.info and ckcw.wneiss-planet.info are not, so
> this email got through.
>
> The URIDNSBL is working fine on other messages - here's the log on a similar
> message where the URI DNS lookups worked correctly:
same again
> In this case it correctly extracted the domain to query as bestwneiis.info.
>
> Is this a bug or is there something I missed as I was RTFMing?  Thanks for
> any help on this!
>
> Sandy S.

Ironically, my system marked your post as spam specifically because of the
URIBLs.

I am using a standard amavid-new & SA 3.0 install, with only the core rules.
How is your system configured, and are you using any extra rules?

Ulysses

--
Ulysses S. Cruz						ulysses@ucruz.org
"If it wasn't for the voices in my head, I'd go insane from loneliness"

Re: ***SPAM*** Problems with URIDNSBL Under Spamassassin 3.0?

Posted by Sandy S <sa...@boreal.org>.
Thanks for the feedback - I've created the attachment with a sample spam.

Sandy
Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 08:22:18AM -0700, Jeff Chan wrote:
> something may be broken.  Be sure to include at least
> the full URI in your bugzilla.  It may be standard procedure
> is to attach the full message.

Yeah, the URI itself is pretty useless to us.

The instructions are on the "create a new ticket" page, but create the
ticket, then attach (via the web page) the full message w/ all headers
and such.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of

Re: ***SPAM*** Problems with URIDNSBL Under Spamassassin 3.0?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Monday, September 27, 2004, 7:57:27 AM, Sandy S. wrote:
> URIDNSBL: query for dkcw.wneiis-planet.info took 2 seconds to look up
> (multi.surbl.org.:dkcw.wneiis-planet.info)
> debug: URIDNSBL: query for tvuu.wneiis-planet.info took 2 seconds to look up
> (multi.surbl.org.:tvuu.wneiis-planet.info)
> debug: URIDNSBL: queries completed: 4 started: 0
> debug: URIDNSBL: queries active:  at Mon Sep 27 09:31:57 2004
> <---snip---->
> debug:
> tests=BAYES_99,MANY_RBLS_BA,RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100,RAZOR2_CHECK,RCVD_IN_B
> L_SPAMCOP_NET,RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB,SPAMMER_URLS04_I_BA
> debug:
> subtests=__BODY_EXISTS_BA,__CT,__CTE,__CTYPE_CHARSET_QUOTED,__CT_TEXT_PLA
> IN,__HAS_MSGID,__HAS_SUBJECT,__MIME_VERSION,__MSGID_OK_DIGITS,__MSGID_OK_HOS
> T,__
> RCVD_IN_SBL_XBL,__RCVD_IN_SORBS,__SANE_MSGID

> If I'm reading the dig output correctly, it isn't finding the
> tvuu.wneiis-planet.info domain, although wneiis-planet.info is listed. But
> from other posts on this list it's obvious that it is being correctly
> flagged on other systems.  Is this an issue with SURBL or with Spamassassin?
> If it's a problem with the way Spamassassin is extracting the URL's I'll
> submit it to bugzilla, but I want to be sure I'm on the right track before I
> do.

It's a SpamAssassin issue.  URIDNSBL should be querying
wneiis-planet.info, which does match SURBLs.  If it's
not reducing URIs it finds down to that base domain then
something may be broken.  Be sure to include at least
the full URI in your bugzilla.  It may be standard procedure
is to attach the full message.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: ***SPAM*** Problems with URIDNSBL Under Spamassassin 3.0?

Posted by "Sandy S." <sa...@boreal.org>.
Jeff Chan wrote:
> I'd need to read the source code, but for a .info, urirhssub
> is probably checking the second level domain, i.e.
> wneiis-planet.info .  It may be checking at the third levels
> also: tvuu.wneiis-planet.info and dkcw.wneiis-planet.info .
>
> In either case it should not be timing out.  If it is checking
> the third levels, an NXDOMAIN response meaning it's not on the
> multi.surbl.org list should be cached after the first try and
> therefore quick on subsequent queries.  It should be pretty
> quickly resolved for whatever name servers you happen to hit
> for the first query.
>
> If you try:
>
>   time dig tvuu.wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org.
>
> on the same machine SA is running on what result do you get?  How
> long does it take.  How about:
>
>   time dig wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org.
>
> Try a bogus new query like:
>
>   time dig some.bogus.query.multi.surbl.org.
>
> and see how long it takes to give an NXDOMAIN.  If it's quick
> from the command line it probably should be quick from SA also.
>
> Jeff C.
> --
> Jeff Chan
> mailto:jeffc@surbl.org
> http://www.surbl.org/

Thanks for your help with this!  I tried the dig commands you suggested and
the response times were very fast:
time dig tvuu.wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org:

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> tvuu.wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org.
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      tvuu.wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
multi.surbl.org.        6m56s IN SOA    a.surbl.org. zone.surbl.org. (
                                        1096293502      ; serial
                                        10M             ; refresh
                                        5M              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        15M )           ; minimum

;; Total query time: 1 msec
;; FROM: teal.boreal.org to SERVER: 216.70.16.10
;; WHEN: Mon Sep 27 09:36:11 2004
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 57  rcvd: 100

0.000u 0.001s 0:00.00 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
--------------------------

time dig wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org:

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org.
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 14, ADDITIONAL: 13
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org.  27m15s IN A  127.0.0.54

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     g.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     h.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     i.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     j.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     k.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     l.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     m.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     n.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     a.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     b.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     c.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     d.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     e.surbl.org.
multi.surbl.org.        3m44s IN NS     f.surbl.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
g.surbl.org.            23h8m36s IN A   69.10.169.115
g.surbl.org.            23h8m36s IN A   209.234.111.50
h.surbl.org.            23h8m22s IN A   216.241.132.46
h.surbl.org.            23h8m22s IN A   64.21.208.210
i.surbl.org.            23h8m44s IN A   62.58.50.220
i.surbl.org.            23h8m44s IN A   194.109.9.8
i.surbl.org.            23h8m44s IN A   38.116.133.25
j.surbl.org.            23h8m22s IN A   130.161.128.109
j.surbl.org.            23h8m22s IN A   194.134.35.168
j.surbl.org.            23h8m22s IN A   130.161.128.108
k.surbl.org.            23h8m22s IN A   213.132.0.70
k.surbl.org.            23h8m22s IN A   193.95.141.43
k.surbl.org.            23h8m22s IN A   194.134.35.204

;; Total query time: 2 msec
;; FROM: teal.boreal.org to SERVER: 216.70.16.10
;; WHEN: Mon Sep 27 09:37:06 2004
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 52  rcvd: 500

0.000u 0.001s 0:00.00 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
-------------------
 time dig some.bogus.query.multi.surbl.org:

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> some.bogus.query.multi.surbl.org.
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      some.bogus.query.multi.surbl.org, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
multi.surbl.org.        4m45s IN SOA    a.surbl.org. zone.surbl.org. (
                                        1096293502      ; serial
                                        10M             ; refresh
                                        5M              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        15M )           ; minimum

;; Total query time: 1 msec
;; FROM: teal.boreal.org to SERVER: 216.70.16.10
;; WHEN: Mon Sep 27 09:39:59 2004
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 50  rcvd: 93

0.000u 0.001s 0:00.00 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
------------------

I tried running the spam in question through Spamassassin again and this
time it doesn't appear to have timed out, but it's still not identifying
this domain as being in the URIBLs.

Debug output:
<---snip---->
[...]

Thanks much for your help!

Sandy S.

Re: ***SPAM*** Problems with URIDNSBL Under Spamassassin 3.0?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Ulysses Cruz <ul...@ucruz.org>.
On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:54:14PM -0500, Sandy S whispered:
> Apparently the lookups timed out.  I assume that's something to do with the
> fact that it's checking for  tvuu.wneiis-MUNGEDplanet.info instead of just
> wneiis-MUNGEDplanet.info, but I don't know enough about how the URI RBLs
> work to be sure.
>
> I'm stumped at this point, but fortunately a) it works most of the time and
> b) other checks like Razor and DCC seem to be kicking in to push these
> messages over the Spam threshhold anyway.  So I guess it's not a major
> issue - I was just wondering if anyone else had run into it and if it was
> something I should report as a bug.
>
> Thanks for all your help and ideas!
>
> Sandy

Sandy,

Hate to say it, but at this point I'm out of ideas too. Perhaps there is a bug
somewhere in the URIBL rule or in the perl modules involved, but I wouldn't
know where to look.

Maybe someone else on the list as an idea.

Ulysses

Posted by Sandy S <sa...@boreal.org>.
Posted by Ulysses Cruz <ul...@ucruz.org>.

Posted by Sandy S <sa...@boreal.org>.
Posted by Ulysses Cruz <ul...@ucruz.org>.

Posted by "Sandy S." <sa...@boreal.org>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Thursday, September 23, 2004, 10:22:03 AM, Ulysses Cruz wrote:
> Ironically, my system marked your post as spam specifically because of the
> URIBLs.

Usually it's recommended to not process anti-spam mailing list
messages with anti-spam tools for this reason.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org