Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/21 13:16:07 UTC

Tomcat benchmark

Hi!

Is there any benchmark test available that allow me to determine the number
of concurrent requests that Tomcat supports for a particular type of
hardware?

Thanks a lot

Re: Tomcat benchmark

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat benchmark

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> Is there any benchmark test available that allow me to
> determine the number
> of concurrent requests that Tomcat supports for a particular type of
> hardware?

You already have it: your own Tomcat, your own app, your own mix of requests, and your own hardware (and your own database server and data if you're using them)!  Apps and request mixes are so variable that there can be no standard "benchmark"; instead, you'll have to test your own app using an appropriate stress-testing tool such as JMeter to determine your limits.

Sorry not to be able to point you at a standard, but for a typical webapp Tomcat is only a few percent of the load.  Any benchmark that omits 90%-95% of the variable isn't useful, in my opinion.

                - Peter

Re: Tomcat benchmark

Posted by samehgad <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Andrew

You can determine the number of concurrent requests using sample formula

This formula gives a decent estimate for the number of threads you can
create:

(MaxProcessMemory - JVMMemory - ReservedOsMemory) / (ThreadStackSize) =
Number of threads

Example:

For Java 1.5 I get the following results assuming that the OS reserves about
120MB:
1.5GB allocated to JVM: (2GB-1.5Gb-120MB)/(1MB) = ~380 threads
1.0GB allocated to JVM: (2GB-1.0Gb-120MB)/(1MB) = ~880 threads

I love this application server
http://www.reviewservers.com/index.php?blog/show/7

Regards,

Re: Tomcat benchmark

Posted by David Brown <da...@davidwbrown.name>.
Hello Andrew, if you are looking for comprehensive HW review for particular hardware good luck. The following will get you started and a PDF by Peter Lin using JMeter is the closest I have seen. HTH, David

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Performance_and_Monitoring

Andrew Hole wrote ..