Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk> on 2008/03/12 17:08:16 UTC

T5: Jruby

Hi,

Is it possible to use Jruby with T5? any advantages ? just curious.

A.C.

Re: T5: Jruby

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I haven't tried it, though I've experimented (recently!) with Groovy.

JRuby lacks the ability to annotate fields and declare types that are
used in Java and Groovy component classes.  I can't see it working
very well.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  Is it possible to use Jruby with T5? any advantages ? just curious.
>
>  A.C.
>  --

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5: Jruby

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@thedailytube.com>.
 > The question I ask myself is how and where would we use
> scripting, and why would it be useful.

I might be mis-interpretting your statement, but it sounds like you're
thinking about scripting as a runtime extension model. I think that's
one usecase for groovy, or jruby. The other usecase is actually
building your pages or services. Since groovy (and I believe jruby)
actually compile to bytecode that can be packaged up as a class just
like a .java file you can use some of the nice language features for
building pages. For instance, in groovy you're pages wouldn't have to
define all the extraneous getter/setters for the pages properties.

With intellij and maven both supporting combining java and groovy
source in the same project, I've been thinking more about ditching the
heavy java syntax for xml processing and using groovy's
XMLParser/XMLSlurper...

Josh

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Chris Lewis <ch...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I've not looked at groovy integration, but I've often thought of how one
> might integrate scripting. T5Components provides a scripting service
> built on BSF, which gives you access to a large number of scripting
> languages. The question I ask myself is how and where would we use
> scripting, and why would it be useful. It seem like scriptable services
> would be nice, and certainly a way to tinker with how requests are
> routed (like RoR's routes). Good luck and do share thoughts if you have any.
>
> chris
>
> Angelo Chen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to use Jruby with T5? any advantages ? just curious.
> >
> > A.C.

TheDailyTube.com. Sign up and get the best new videos on the internet
delivered fresh to your inbox.

Re: T5: Jruby

Posted by Chris Lewis <ch...@bellsouth.net>.

Re: T5: Jruby

Posted by Francois Armand <fa...@linagora.com>.
Andreas Andreou a écrit :
> not sure - on the other hand, i've seen groovy in T4 and T5

T5 also used to work with Scala, but I didn't test since a while. So it
seems quite friendly with other JVM language, even if it uses a lot of
bytescript manipulation.
Saying that, I'm thinking that JRuby class are much more different from
Java class than Scala or Groovy are, so I'm a little doubtful.

--
Francois Armand
Etudes & Développements J2EE

Re: T5: Jruby

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  Is it possible to use Jruby with T5? any advantages ? just curious.
>
>  A.C.
>  --

Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer