Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com> on 2017/01/13 21:01:55 UTC

why does HiveConf.java have explicit line breaks?

Subj. All the setting descriptions are in the “Blah blah blah\n” + “Blah
blah” form.
Do we really need the explicit line break there? To maintain the short
lines in the source we could just sum strings w/o \n.

Re: why does HiveConf.java have explicit line breaks?

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Those line breaks are for the generated template file
(conf/hive-default.xml.template), which formats configuration parameters
and their descriptions appropriately for hive-site.xml files.

For example, *hive.input.format* doesn't have explicit line breaks so its
long description is all on one line:
https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/master/data/conf/hive-site.xml#L200-204.

Rather than removing "\n" in parameter descriptions, we should add them
where needed.

-- Lefty