Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/28 15:30:09 UTC

Re: [dbcp] update DBCP2 to require JDBC 4.1 (Java 7) WAS svn commit: r1431496 - in /commons/proper/dbcp/trunk: ./ src/java/org/apache/commons/dbcp2/ src/java/org/apache/commons/dbcp2/cpdsadapter/ src/java/org/apache/commons/dbcp2/datasources/ src/test/org/apache/commons/dbcp2/ src/test/org/apache/commons/dbc...

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 11/01/2013 08:36, Mark Thomas a écrit :
>
> > We could also add the JDBC 4.1 methods to DBCP1 but I'm not sure I like
> the idea of three builds for that version.
>
> I think we should do that. Debian and Fedora maintain a patch to be able
> to build DBCP from source (see DBCP-385), but we should assume this burden.
>
> I see 3 options, either:
>
> 1. Release DBCP 1.4.1 with no-op methods throwing a
> SQLFeatureNotSupportedException or an UnsupportedOperationException.
> This is what Fedora/Debian do.

That's fine with me but I would not say this is not for a maintenance
version, it should be for a minor version.

> 2. Release DBCP 1.5 with the fully implemented methods and Java 7 as a
> build requirement.

Fine with me, nice and simple.

> 3. Release DBCP 1.4.1 or 1.5 with the fully implemented methods but
> using reflection, thus compiling with Java 6 or Java 7.

I do not like these kinds of solutions because I have to think twice about
what the dynamic behavior means on different platforms.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory