Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Reuben Budiardja <te...@pathfinder.phys.utk.edu> on 2008/07/15 23:36:09 UTC

Migrate repository to different machine using copy ?

Hello,
I have a quick question. I need to migrate repository from an old machine (SVN
1.4.3) to new machine (SVN 1.4.2). The new machine has lower version because
it's the one that comes with the distro (CentOS 5), while in  the old machine
I compiled myself.

I read about the dump-load way to do migration. But, really, is there anything
that should prevent me from just doing:
1. NFS mount the directory of the old machine to new machine
2. Do "cp -a old_repo new_repo"

I am just curious if I can / can't do that.

Thanks.
RDB

Re: Migrate repository to different machine using copy ?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 19:36, Reuben Budiardja
<te...@pathfinder.phys.utk.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a quick question. I need to migrate repository from an old machine (SVN
> 1.4.3) to new machine (SVN 1.4.2). The new machine has lower version because
> it's the one that comes with the distro (CentOS 5), while in  the old machine
> I compiled myself.
>
> I read about the dump-load way to do migration. But, really, is there anything
> that should prevent me from just doing:
> 1. NFS mount the directory of the old machine to new machine
> 2. Do "cp -a old_repo new_repo"
>
> I am just curious if I can / can't do that.

Differences in CPU architecture & library versions (Subversion and
dependencies) are the main things that could trip you up. Especially
given that you're going back one minor release, changing
distributions, and going from a self-compiled install to a packaged
version.

Stop the server, dump the repository, and load it into the new server.

Re: Migrate repository to different machine using copy ?

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Reuben Budiardja wrote:
> The new machine has lower version because it's the one that comes with the
> distro (CentOS 5), while in  the old machine I compiled myself.

You can get Subversion 1.4.6 for CentOS5 from the rpmforge repo (use the Google
to find it), if you want to run something more current...

HTH

John