Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Paul Hussein <pa...@terma.it> on 2005/09/28 14:07:58 UTC

mysql max_allowed_packet and file size

I have an issue with the MYSQL4.1 version of the slide store.

 From what I can see, the store has a file size limit governed by the
max_allowed_packet setting of mysql

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/packet-too-large.html

If i try to write a large file to the store i get packet too large errors.

e.g.
mysqldump  -q --quick --user=root --password=xxxx slide -O
max_allowed_packet=100M > slide.sql
mysqldump: Error 2020: Got packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
when dumping table `VERSION_CONTENT` at row: 22424

I increased the max_allowed_packet to 1000M to avoid any errors like
this, however, now I cant dump the database to backup and when I try to
access a 250MB file the memory size of mysqldump and/or mysqld grows to
1.2GB.

It seems that mysql with slide will only manipulated files of the
maximum size of the max_allowed_packet variable.

Whereas, what I believe should happen is that large files should be
'chunked' to eliminate this problem in the SQL that loads and unloads
them from the database.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here ?

Any comments would be helpful.

Re: mysql max_allowed_packet and file size

Posted by Paul Hussein <pa...@terma.it>.
This is an interesting post which seems to suggest that the max file
size is the max (available) memory size of your machine

MYSQL bug 5677