Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2016/10/06 12:36:12 UTC

Decision making (was: Wiki setup...)

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...In Apache, I think things are solved by discussing them via e-mails until a
> general agreement is reached....

Yes, if consensus can be built in this way that's best and people who
care about these things are supposed to follow this list, where all
technical and project decisions must be made.

Using one email thread per topic, with clear subject lines, helps
follow these things.

Votes are also possible on list as per
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html, and PMC voting is
required for releases for example.

Lazy consensus votes (described there) are useful when one feels a
somewhat important decisions needs to be very visible, while not
requiring a formal vote.

When it comes to tools I guess the best is to let those who are going
to use them decide, so it's probably good to agree on a minimal set of
tools first among the people who are already active here, and later
expand to all the required tools as needed.

-Bertrand