Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2015/03/16 14:14:14 UTC

Re: Brooklyn not in http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html

So, I've been futzing around with Syncope and the going has been slow. I seem to be struggling more with the framework and it's dearth of relevant documentation than actually getting a reasonable mock up working.

My question is, how critical is it that we use this framework? I think that I could've gotten a lot more done if I just coded something up in python. In my opinion, Given the fluid nature of this effort I think this is the way to go.

Once things have gelled and we have a firm idea on what needs to be managed and how, including the rest API, then we can make an effort to use this framework.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Brooklyn not in http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.htmlhttps://projects-new.apache.org/

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
> On Mar 16, 2015, at 7:34 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com> wrote:
>> Alan,
>>
>> I think in reality, we care far, far less about the tool itself than we do about the deployment and management of it.
>>

> This is true, to a degree.
> What we don't want to do is to write something ourselves and then
> having the long term maintenance burden. The allure of Syncope is that
> there is a community of folks building and maintaining the software.
> The less we have to maintain the better.

I can see this point.  My thinking is that our processes are pretty short and simple and Syncope with its workflow may be overkill.  I think it’s way more important to identify our data files that we need to manage and present a coherent REST API for tooling and websites such as whimsy, projects-new.apache.org, and panopticon.

Anyway, I just want to get this done, as well as the REST API for EZMLM, so I can get back to my stalled panopticon project.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
Alan,

I think in reality, we care far, far less about the tool itself than we do about the deployment and management of it.

As David says, it must be deployed as a .deb, and be 100% in puppet and be idempotent too.

If you want help with this endeavour, please let me know and I can try to help you along.

--
Cheers,
Tony