Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rubi Hali <ru...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/25 05:05:04 UTC

How to resolve Overlapping on DeckSearchers=2

Hi

I am using solr 6.1 version. Getting A continous warning in both master
slaves as *Performance Warning: Overlapping on DeckSearchers=2 *

*Analyzed after the same warning on slaves replication starts throwing
index fetch failed error as not able to open a new searcher*

*went through some online blogs or posts , where it says to not have
frequent commits or increase warming searchers*

*But increasing the warming searchers doesnt seem to be a good idea as that
will impact my query performance*

*Commits are explicity made by my application. I have disabled any soft
commit and autocommit in my solrconfig.xml by assigning value as -1 to the
same.*

*Please help if any good suggestions to resolve the same*

*Thanks in advance!*

Re: How to resolve Overlapping on DeckSearchers=2

Posted by Emir Arnautović <em...@sematext.com>.
Hi Rubi,
As you probably know, in order to have changes visible, you have to reopen searcher. Opening searcher includes warming up searcher. What happens to you is that new commit happens while previous commit did not result in a new searcher. What you can do:
commit less frequently - it is good practice to do time based commits on Solr side, but if you prefer to keep commits on client side, you might consider using commitWithin option instead of explicit commits. Also, you mentioned slaves, you could increase pulling interval on slaves to avoid overlapping searchers.
use cold searcher
decrease autowarm time by decreasing autowarm counts or reducing number of autowarm queries.
increase max allowed number of deck searchers and ignore the warning

I would recommend addressing commit strategy and tuning autowarm counts/queries (decreasing counts and having couple of good autowarm queries does not have to have negative impact on query time).

HTH,
Emir