Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Matthias Boehm <mb...@us.ibm.com> on 2016/06/22 04:40:07 UTC

[DISCUSS] Version-specific documentation

In the context of SYSTEMML-554, we aim to introduce native frame data type
support. While porting the file-based transform, I intend to drop the
existing transform scaling functionality (mean substraction, z-scoring) as
it is more naturally expressed over matrices. However, this change raises a
general question with regard to our documentation:

How do you feel about maintaining version-specific language references? It
would certainly help to avoid version-specific conflicts (e.g., builtin
functions added in newer versions) but it might add overhead as fixes would
need to go into multiple versions. Personally, I would be in favor of
simply archiving the old documentation (but keeping it available) as part
of our release process.

Regards,
Matthias

Re: [DISCUSS] Version-specific documentation

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
I would like it if we move towards having a version of the complete
documentation for each release. The documentation for each release can be
published on the main website, similar to what Apache Spark does:
http://spark.apache.org/documentation.html

By the way, this will mean that when we do a release, one task will be to
make sure that the documentation for that release is up-to-date.

Deron