Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org> on 2004/03/02 21:57:12 UTC

Re: web.xml config, dif between 4.0 and 5.0

Jim Beard wrote:
>     I work with a rather large and comlex web application.  We have been
> hosting the application with Jakarta Tomcat for a while now.  I am
> working on upgrading our environment to 5.0.18.
>     Does this sound like a good idea?  I notice several people are still
> talking about configuring new 4.0 installs.  Is 5.0 stable enough?

It should be stable enough, but then again it really depends on *your*
webapp. Testing is the key.

>     My main problem however, is that my web.xml file for my web
> application behaves differently in the two versions.  The web.xml file
> validates against the 2.2 DTD not the 2.3 ( or 2.4 now? ).  In my old
> set up I have not needed to state each servlet that will be addressed.
> Now it seems as if this may be required for 5.0.

It looks like you are still using the invoker. Its evil:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#invoker
But the servlet 2.4 is mostly compatible with 2.3 and 2.2.

-Tim

Re: web.xml config, dif between 4.0 and 5.0

Posted by Jim Beard <be...@counterclaim.com>.
Tim,

	Thanks for the quick reply.  That is exactly what the problem was.  I
understand that statically defining and mapping servlets would be much
more secure, however I'm not sure I want to map the several hundred
servlets involved....
	I put the invoker back in place and things are moving along fine now.

Jim

On Tuesday, March 2, 2004, at 12:57 PM, Tim Funk wrote:

>>     My main problem however, is that my web.xml file for my web
>> application behaves differently in the two versions.  The web.xml
>> file validates against the 2.2 DTD not the 2.3 ( or 2.4 now? ).  In
>> my old set up I have not needed to state each servlet that will be
>> addressed.  Now it seems as if this may be required for 5.0.
>
> It looks like you are still using the invoker. Its evil:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#invoker
> But the servlet 2.4 is mostly compatible with 2.3 and 2.2.
>

> -Tim

Jim Beard
counterclaim.com, Inc
http://www.counterclaim.com