Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Spudona <ei...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/23 20:08:03 UTC

Single Login help required

I've recorded a single user login where the user action is as follows...

1. New user logs in for the first time with their User ID and a Password
2. The user then has to change their password for access to the system
3. Confirm that user has access to system
4. Logout of system

When I try to play this back with a new user, by modifying the relevant HTTP
Requests I get an error and the user isn't logged in to the system. What
changes do I need to make to the recorded test to get this to work???
Any help very much appreciated as this is driving me crazy!!!!!

Andrew

Re: Single Login help required

Posted by Spudona <ei...@gmail.com>.
I've created an almost identical script which allows a previously logged in
user to login... that works fine. The problem I'm having is that I can't
login as a new user and complete the new user login and password change. I
can do it manually through the site no problem... it's just when I record
the steps in JMeter it always generates an error on the Login page.

Posted by Steve Eckhart <St...@wausaufs.com>.
Spudona,

You can get meaningful results for the pages that are working.  Just don't send requests to the pages that are not present yet.

Steve Eckhart
Business Analyst/Project Manager

WAUSAU Financial Systems
14010 FNB PKWY STE500
Omaha, NE 68154-5206
Main: (402) 431-8810
Direct line: (402) 715-9382
Cellular: (402) 510-5387
Email: steve.eckhart@wausaufs.com

Enterprise Payment Solutions.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic transmission (including files attached hereto) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this confidential information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please destroy it and immediately notify us by return email.  Thank you.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
Its not a good practice to wait till your entire site is ready before
beginning performance/load tests. As long as some area is functionally
complete you should performance test it. You can ignore the results of the
areas that arent built or bypass them if possible.

regards
deepak

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
great if it works. Note that you need to see on your web application , when
you access via  browser what happens, whether TempID is something that the
system generates and passes around, typically generated IDs are passed as
hidden parameters in forms or values in query string and you need to use a
Post processor to extract values

regards
deepak

Posted by Spudona <ei...@gmail.com>.
I think the problem I have is that a "TempID" is created when I login for the
first time.
How can I incorporate this parameter into my script???

Again, any help would be great!

Thanks guys!

Posted by Spudona <ei...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the tips Deepak! I'll check when I'm back in work tomorrow. I can
tell you that the tests do have Cookie Managers but the redirects I'll
check.
Unfortunately I haven't got access to the developers to ask them why the
page throws a HTTP:404 page not found error!

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
The most common causes are
a. Your test doesnt have a cookie manager
b. Your test samplers have redirect automatically instead of follow
redirects.
c. Your Site uses some form of dynamic data that varies with time or
user(e.g. a userid or a request number). These need to be extracted out from
previous requests and sent as part of the next step using a post processor
and variables. record / replay does not work in such scenarios.(If you
record the test again or by a different user you should see some parameters
change)

Finally the only way to diagnose is use a browser trace  tool and compare
what you send / receive with JMeter using View Results tree listener

regards
deepak

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

The working of site will depend on the technology it is using.
1) Java application
2) .NET application which uses VIEWSTATE hidden variable
3) Any other server technology.

You will have to analyze the response of the pages and the dependent
variables which are used from earlier calls in the later calls.

I have tried to answer is most generic way, hope you get some clue from
this.

with regards
Tushar

Tushar Joshi, Nagpur