Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Kyle Banker <ky...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/07 00:14:38 UTC

Consumer Group Lag Reporting

What is the best practice for reporting the lag on individual consumer
groups (e.g., to Graphite)?

A recent form post (http://search-hadoop.com/m/4TaT4x9qWm1) seems to
indicate that parsing the output of the consumer offset checker tool and
reporting that independently is what folks do. Is there a better way?

Are there any plans for the Kafka brokers themselves to do this reporting
(e.g., the master for each partition reports lag for all of its consumer
groups)?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Consumer Group Lag Reporting

Posted by Kyle Banker <ky...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Otis. I actually already have a reporting and alerting
infrastructure.

I mainly wanted to confirm that parsing the output of the offset checker is
the recommended practice for reporting consumer group offsets. Is this the
case? If so, I wanted to find out if any work is under way to make this
more streamlined.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,