Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@yazi.ci> on 2021/12/30 09:02:05 UTC

CVE creation process

Hello,

The recent CVE-2021-44832 has been subject to quite some debate whether it
was CVE-worthy or not. I think that one had far fetched assumptions and
could very well be addressed in a patch release, just like we did, but
without a CVE associated with it. The created CVE caused yet another wave
of FUD surrounding the project. I can imagine millions of deployments all
around the world were marked as flagged by monitoring tools and people
rushed to upgrade in panic, most likely, for no reason. I put aside the
damage CVEs cause on the reputation of the project.

I am told by security@apache.org that what is CVE-worthy is up to the PMC. *I
propose creating a VOTE thread for the CVE creation from now on.* I would
appreciate it if others can share their thoughts on this. If the overall
reception is positive, I will send a VOTE email to make this official.

Kind regards.

Re: CVE creation process

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I think this is a good idea. I clarified the CVE details yesterday to note the specific JNDI and LDAP issue, but the FUD is already out there.

—
Matt Sicker

Re: CVE creation process

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea of voting on whether or not we want to CVE a fix because I
hope it will make us focus on how to message the issue as clearly as
possible in addition to having more eyes looking at similar possible issues.

Gary

Re: CVE creation process

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Thanks for putting it into practical terms.  I wish it was that black and white though.
I don’t really know how much JNDI is used any more. When I learned Java JNDI was
the standard way to access LDAP.  So I can easily imagine that there are configurations
out there that are retrieving some passwords from it to access something from the
logging configuration completely unaware that they may already have be compromised.

But how many are there that are doing that? Less than 1%?  What is worse, is that the
fix will no longer allow them to access LDAP that way so many of those who this fix is
meant to protect won’t upgrade.

Still, I have to agree that it wasn’t safe to allow users to access LDAP (as well as other
protocols) this way and users needed to be informed.

Ralph

Re: CVE creation process

Posted by Julius Davies <ju...@gmail.com>.
p.s.  The fact CVE-2021-44832 was scored as CVSS v3 Base 6.6 = Medium means
probably most companies will not urgently take this patch.  I've seen
policies in practice (at companies) that consider 7.0 and up ("HIGH") as
patch-in-7-days, and 9.0 and up ("CRITICAL") as patch-in-3-days, and things
like this.  So the fact you scored it as 6.6 Medium was great for helping
consumers understand the fact this one was not as urgent as some of the
others.

I really wouldn't worry whether the CVE was worthy or not - it's better to
issue a CVE that wasn't needed compared to the inverse!

Re: CVE creation process

Posted by Julius Davies <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: CVE creation process