Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Tamas Balazs <tb...@coppercoast.sa.gov.au> on 2014/08/28 07:59:56 UTC

Cannot login to Admin Panel via TLD - have to use IP address

Dear All,

I have the following issue: I cannot login to my Roller via the login link provided with the virtual host TLD…ie: http://example.com/roller-ui/login-redirect.rol or https://example.com/roller-ui/login-redirect.rol does not work, but https://128.199.173.139/roller/roller-ui/login-redirect.rol does. When I try to login via TLD I get a white screen, no error message, nothing…

I wouldn’t really mind this but it makes difficult to add images to an article as every one of them will get mapped to the IP address not to the domain name. Plus I am not entirely sure that by logging in via the IP-based url how to affect Roller when it automatically pings aggregators – will the ping be referred to my IP-based URL if I am logged in via that?

I was advised to fill in the "absolute url to site" field at the Server admin section with my TLD – I did that but nothing has happened. Can anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong? I tried with ver 5.04 and 5.1 – nothing.

Thanks in advance
Tamas

Tamas Balazs

[cid:imagee81ec1.JPG@9b3a1fc7.439a7cc0]

WARNING
The information contained in this message and any attached files is confidential and is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. District Council of the Copper Coast is not responsible for any claim whatsoever arising from a third party utilising or relying on confidential information. District Council of the Copper Coast is neither liable for the proper nor complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt. We do not guarantee that this material is free from viruses or any other defects, although due care has been taken to minimise risk.

RE: Cannot login to Admin Panel via TLD - have to use IP address

Posted by Tamas Balazs <tb...@coppercoast.sa.gov.au>.
Hi,

Yes, I can ping the site - the site, the virtual host and the whole lot is working fine - both with http and https protocol. Also the Metaweblog API works fine both with TLD and the IP-based access (doesn't work with https though). The only thing I cannot do via the TLD is to login to the control panel and navigate there. Even if I am logged in via the IP address and rewrite the url with the TLD (both http and https) then reload still the browser's screen turns into blank. This issue was present in 5.04 and 5.1 too.

The log-file is clean - no errors are reported.

Roller works pretty fine to be honest - I have never seen anything major or even minor issues in its operation (in 5.04) except this. I start to think that there might be some Java-related security/authentication issue here which prohibits the password protected pages to be shown if the request URL is  TLD based...but this is just my guesswork. I have a Tomcat 7.054 running without security manager being enabled on port 8080/8443 as a non-root user. IP-tables rerouting to port 80/443,  JDK is 1.7.0_67.

Tamas

Tamas Balazs

[...]

You say you get a white screen, but is anything printed into the roller log file that would indicate the problem?

Glen

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.