Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2012/11/02 05:08:05 UTC

[MENTORS] InstallApacheFlex RC9 Third-Party Licensing

Hi Mentors,

If you’ve been following the vote thread on general@incubator, I think they’ve found an error in the headers of the MD5Stream.as and IntUtil.as files.  Is this a release blocker, and if so, can you also advise on whether other issues they’ve found need to be addressed as well?

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.
http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Re: [MENTORS] InstallApacheFlex RC9 Third-Party Licensing

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 11/2/12 7:04 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...if those files come from
>> an external project, Alex is right that we should have kept their
>> license headers.
>>
> So, "release blocker" or "ok" because we are incubating?

Hard to argue against "release blocker" - we're pretending that this
code is ours but it's not.

-Bertrand

Re: [MENTORS] InstallApacheFlex RC9 Third-Party Licensing

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> It made it into release/temp and was being flagged in the rat report.  I
> didn't check the actual gz file.

This is not possible unless the build.xml has changed to include temp.p12
in the source kit in the first place.

> If I am following what you saying, rather then excluding it from the kit,
> it should not be copied to release/temp and that would fix the rat issue
> and ensure it isn't packaged.

No, I mean that the temp.p12 should be excluded from the kit when you do
"ant release"

I picked up your latest changes and tried it again and I am not able to
reproduce what you are seeing.

Can you please send me a clear set of steps to reproduce?

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Yes, double digit RCs!

(I told you so, Om, you optimist ;-))

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [MENTORS] InstallApacheFlex RC9 Third-Party Licensing

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
Om,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Carol,

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
Om,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Carol,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
> I think there were a few issues raised and we need to know if any of them
> are "release blockers"
>
> 1.  incorrect headers in MD5Stream.as and IntUtil.as
> 2.  incorrect path to MD5Stream.as and IntUtil.as in the LICENSE file
> 3.  incorrect license for the open_sans fonts in the LICENSE file
> 4.  incorrect path to the open_sans fonts in the LICENSE file...
> when we packaged everything....

As I said, IMO 1. is a blocker, and if another release is cut the
other issues can be easily fixed as well, except maybe

> ...5.  in the distro the NOTICE, LICENSE and DISCLAIMER files are at root but
> in svn they are under the installer directory - we pulled them up to root...

IMO it's not uncommon for build systems to move or generate those
files, so I wouldn't bother unless it's very simple to fix.

-Bertrand

Re: [MENTORS] InstallApacheFlex RC9 Third-Party Licensing

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 11/2/12 7:46 AM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>... It looks like the Apache License, version 2.0 is correct for the Open Sans
>> fonts, at least according to this [1].
>> The copyright is Digitized data copyright © 2010-2011, Google Corporation
>> but the license is Apache v2.
>>
>> I think that means we don't have to call the fonts out in the LICENSE file
>> since the general Apache license applies to them....

I agree with that.

-Bertrand

Re: [MENTORS] InstallApacheFlex RC9 Third-Party Licensing

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...Bertrand, do we need to mention in the LICENSE file that the Open-Sans font
> we got from Google WebFonts is under Apache license?  Or are Apache licensed
> items never mentioned in LICENSE?...

They do not need to be mentioned - IMO it's good to have a list of
third-party dependencies somewhere, if only to be able to check them
when reviewing a release, but that's not a requirement for Apache
releases AFAIK.

-Bertrand

Re: [MENTORS] InstallApacheFlex RC9 Third-Party Licensing

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/2/12 8:29 AM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> I made some changes before I read this email [1] so we might need another
> pass on the changes.
>
> Now that I've cleaned up the RAT report and excluded binaries which should
> be excluded I see there is a binary in the kit which should not be there.
> It is called temp.12.  I believe it can be generated so Om/Erik should
> remove it from the kit.
Carol, can you modify the comment in the RAT excludes to say that the
license is Modified BSD (which is Category A), not Adobe (which is not
Apache-compatible).  Adobe is just the copyright holder.  Modified BSD is a
template where you substitute in the copyright holder's name.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1405005&view=rev

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/2/12 7:46 AM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 11/2/12 10 :28AM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there were a few issues raised and we need to know if any of them
>> are "release blockers"
>>
>> 1.  incorrect headers in MD5Stream.as and IntUtil.as
>> 2.  incorrect path to MD5Stream.as and IntUtil.as in the LICENSE file
>> 3.  incorrect license for the open_sans fonts in the LICENSE file
>
> This should have said open-sans rather than open_sans.
>
> It looks like the Apache License, version 2.0 is correct for the Open Sans
> fonts, at least according to this [1].
> The copyright is Digitized data copyright © 2010-2011, Google Corporation
> but the license is Apache v2.
>
> I think that means we don't have to call the fonts out in the LICENSE file
> since the general Apache license applies to them.

That isn't clear to me so it would be great if Bertrand could decide.  If a

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

[1] http://www.google.com/webfonts/attribution

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [MENTORS] InstallApacheFlex RC9 Third-Party Licensing

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.