Posted to websh-dev@tcl.apache.org by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> on 2002/07/30 00:05:23 UTC

Re: tarball

> Here you are...  it seems to work ok on my system, but it's likely it
> would:-)

It works on my system too!

I do have some minor change requests however (just to make it look the
way other source tar balls look):

- naming: websh-3.5.0.tar.gz

- should contain (create) websh-3.5.0 directory (not tcl-websh)

- should not include the CVS directories

- in any case: when really creating the tar we *must* tag the
  repository, so we know what's in the source tar ball. I'll think of
  an automatic way for the future. For now I suggest:

    cd path/to/tcl-websh
    cvs tag websh-3_5_0

  Note that tag names can't contain '.', that's why the '_' come in.

I think that's it from my side.

Re: tarball / ncabuild

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> I'll have to think about it. What I'd do is to create a tools
> subdir, add ncabuild in merged source (which is not very readable,
> but it's still source), not distribute it in the distributions and
> just leave it "as is". Does that conform with the ASF? What if there
> is still the Netcetera copyright in the script?

> BTW: It's not very specific to our env. Only thing it will change: a
> top level Makfile with the build rule only and a top level file
> "version" which is a Tcl script that contains all build info
> (version number, date, files, etc ...)

Hrm, sounds a bit complicated - I will have to think on it some
myself...let me see what we can do with the tools we have.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: tarball / ncabuild

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.

Re: tarball

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.

Re: tarball

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> > - should not include the CVS directories
>
> You think not?  I kind of like having them available when I download a
> project.  They are the anonymous CVS ones, and so can by used by joe
> user.

Well ... I c ur point. Still reluctant ;-)

> > - in any case: when really creating the tar we *must* tag the
> > repository, so we know what's in the source tar ball. I'll think of
> > an automatic way for the future. For now I suggest:
> >
> >     cd path/to/tcl-websh
> >     cvs tag websh-3_5_0
> >
> >   Note that tag names can't contain '.', that's why the '_' come in.
>
> What happens if we change some little thing - does that mean we have
> to retag?  I have never used these, so I'm not sure what the best
> practices are.

Definitly: whenever we create a new build (i.e. tar ball) we'll have
to create a new tag with a new version number. Depending on the size
of the changes, we can tag the next release websh-3_5_0_1 or
websh-3_6_0 or whatever. The important thing is that the release will
be named accordingly: websh-3.5.0.1.tar.gz and so on.

Internally we use a tool (ncabuild) which takes care of these version
issues, tagging, adding an entry to the ChangeLog and so on. It's a
Tcl script that calls cvs. The problem to use it here is only that we
need to create builds in non-anonymous CVS, because the tagging needs
access to CVS (This would be an argument not to include the CVS
subdirectories in the build).

Re: tarball

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> It works on my system too!
>
> I do have some minor change requests however (just to make it look the
> way other source tar balls look):

> - naming: websh-3.5.0.tar.gz

Sure.

> - should contain (create) websh-3.5.0 directory (not tcl-websh)

Ok, this one makes sense.