Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 1999/06/24 16:54:06 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/src/os/unix iol_socket.c iol_socket.h Makefile.tmpl

Chris Costello wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 1999, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > You know, I really don't mean to troll, but aren't there are other C-like
> > languages that are really much better at this sort of thing? Perhaps this
> > is a good time to at least seriously think about C++ (or a small subset of
> > it), one more time. So much of the Apache API, past, present and future,
> > would benefit from having easily available inheritance and polymorphism
> > that I think it may very well be worth the hassle. Maybe.
>
>    With the overhead that comes with using C++, it would not be
> practical for something like the Apache HTTPd.

What overhead are you referring to? It is possible to write very
efficient (in term of space and execution time) C++ programs. You need
to have a good understanding of how some of the nifty C++ features are
translated into the executable code. C++ is not an easy language to grok
to the fullest.

--
Bill Stoddard
stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/src/os/unix iol_socket.c iol_socket.h Makefile.tmpl

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com> wrote:

>C++ is not an easy language to grok to the fullest.

I'm told by people on the standardization committee that nobody groks
it to the fullest.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch   dot@dotat.at   fanf@demon.net
Winner, International Obfuscated C Code Competition 1998

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/src/os/unix iol_socket.c iol_socket.h Makefile.tmpl

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
> > Chris Costello wrote:

> > >    With the overhead that comes with using C++, it would not be
> > > practical for something like the Apache HTTPd.
> > >
> > What overhead are you referring to? It is possible to write very
> > efficient (in term of space and execution time) C++ programs. You need
> > to have a good understanding of how some of the nifty C++ features are
> > translated into the executable code. C++ is not an easy language to grok
> > to the fullest.
>
> What nifty features are you referring to?

Jeesh, what a sucker I am. The bait was set and I grabbed it! I suppose
nifty is subjective and I don't care to debate it because I'm not a fan
of adopting C++ for Apache. Check out either of Scott Meyers "Effective
C++" books and you'll get an idea of what I mean (maybe). That's all I'm
saying on this topic :-)

--
Bill Stoddard
stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/src/os/unix iol_socket.c iol_socket.h Makefile.tmpl

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Chris Costello wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 24, 1999, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > > You know, I really don't mean to troll, but aren't there are other C-like
> > > languages that are really much better at this sort of thing? Perhaps this
> > > is a good time to at least seriously think about C++ (or a small subset of
> > > it), one more time. So much of the Apache API, past, present and future,
> > > would benefit from having easily available inheritance and polymorphism
> > > that I think it may very well be worth the hassle. Maybe.
> >
> >    With the overhead that comes with using C++, it would not be
> > practical for something like the Apache HTTPd.
> >
> What overhead are you referring to? It is possible to write very
> efficient (in term of space and execution time) C++ programs. You need
> to have a good understanding of how some of the nifty C++ features are
> translated into the executable code. C++ is not an easy language to grok
> to the fullest.

What nifty features are you referring to?

Dean