Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de> on 2003/03/17 14:33:21 UTC

[OT] Changing a form page with minimal involvement of struts.

Hi all,

I have labeled this OT, cause the solution may not involve struts at all.

I would like to present the client with a specific type of data entry in a
form page.  It will be collecting a timestamp from the client, but I want to
give them several different ways of giving me the data; by day; by month;
after a date; before a date; and between two dates (default).  I want to
display the data enty type, only when the correct button is clicked, and if
that entry type is not being used to change it and hide the original.

The form page was created using data supplied by a call to a db, but this
data is unlikely to change in a space of less than three or four hours, so a
call to the business logic, will rarely make a difference.

Now the prerequisites of this are:
1) I don't use JavaScript.
2) The pages are not generated using JSPs.
3) The reload speed must be kept down, by NOT going back through any
business logic.

So the questions are;

1)  Is there a way to hold the data that created the original page, so that
a call back to the creating Action class will  stop the need to ask the
business logic for the original page data again?
2)  A way to do the same, but at the client end, so I don't have to make a
request to struts at all?

Institut fuer
Prozessdatenverarbeitung
und Elektronik,