Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Markus <yo...@hispeed.ch> on 2006/09/27 13:41:37 UTC

How to delete selected revisions in a repository?

Hi,

is it possible to delete selected revisions in a repository? For
example all revisions before a certain date?
(I guess one could dump a selected range of revisions and then
're-import' them and by that means delete the non-selected revisions,
but deleting them directly might be easier).

Markus

Re: How to delete selected revisions in a repository?

Posted by Vijay Gill <vi...@gmail.com>.
> So is it ok if I follow the following steps to remove say revision 3
> and 4 from a project which has revisions 1,2,3,4,5 and 6?
>
> 1) dump revisions 1,2,3 in dumpfile_1
> 2) dump revisions 5,6 in dumpfile_2
> 3) create new repository
> 4) load from dumpfile_1
> 5) load from dumpfile_2
>
> I already did that and it showed that those revsions (3,4) were
> totally gone (as the log messages for those revisions were missing
> too). Also I notice re-numbering of revisions during the load from
> dumpfile_2 to make the sequence proper again.
>
> All I want is a subversion guru to validate my approach.
>
> Thanks
> Vijay

And one more question.
I added a few files in revision 3, modified some. I deleted all those
files in revsion 4 which were added in revision 3. And modified some
more in revision 4 (which eventually became revesion 5 on commit).
Now if I do the process of eliminating revisions 3 and 4, will the
version 5(which will become version 3 after dump/load) look as if it
would have if it was ACTUAL revision 3 (i.e. all the modifications
arising from revisions 3 and 4 but without the extra baggage of files
added and deleted in 3 and 4?
thanks again.
Vijay

Re: How to delete selected revisions in a repository?

Posted by Vijay Gill <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus <yo...@hispeed.ch>.
On 2006-09-27 18:53:56 +0200, Jacob Atzen <ja...@jacobatzen.dk> said:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 08:52:35AM -0700, Mark wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure you would have to dump the repository, edit the
>> dumpfile,  and reload.  Are you looking for something like cvs admin
>> -orev1::rev2?  I don't think that exists in svn.
>
> You don't need to edit the dumpfile, you can simply choose to only dump
> certain revisions. But yes, there's no way to remove stuff in a
> repository for good without going through the dump/load cycle.

Thanks.

Re: How to delete selected revisions in a repository?

Posted by Jacob Atzen <ja...@jacobatzen.dk>.

--
Cheers,
- Jacob Atzen

Re: How to delete selected revisions in a repository?

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.

On 9/27/06, Markus <yo...@hispeed.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to delete selected revisions in a repository? For
> example all revisions before a certain date?
> (I guess one could dump a selected range of revisions and then
> 're-import' them and by that means delete the non-selected revisions,
> but deleting them directly might be easier).
>
> Markus

Mark
"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
always be happy."