Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Dix <Jo...@amdocs.com> on 2013/10/01 21:30:24 UTC

Maven versions in compilation

I have a question in order to make our dev managers warm and fuzzy.

My understanding is that a pom that compiles under 2.1.0 and 3.0.5 produces the same jars. I know this to be true so long as either version of Maven is pulling down the correct versions of SDK's used to build the java files but I need some kind of "official" stamp on that to ease nervousness.

Thanks!

John "Caolan" Dix
Programming Sr. SME, Digital Commerce
Amdocs Digital Services Division
o: 206-288-0334 m: 425.351.7340

AMDOCS | EMBRACE CHALLENGE EXPERIENCE SUCCESS

Did you know...?
Amdocs Mobile Payments enables operators to manage any number of app stores, merchants and aggregators and generate revenues from digital content and mobile commerce

Follow Amdocs on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/amdocsinc/>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/AmdocsInc>, LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/amdocs>, YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/amdocsinc> and Google+<https://plus.google.com/105657940751678445194> - and read the latest on the Amdocs blog network<http://blogs.amdocs.com/>.

RE: Maven versions in compilation

Posted by John Dix <Jo...@amdocs.com>.
Thank you Baptiste and Gordon! I'll work something up for a comparison in jars and go from there.

Well, as Maven delegates some important parts like compilation to plugins or even external tools like javac, any risk of being different is quite low.

And put differently, as what you ask is actually controlled by the maven-ear-plugin, maven-jar-plugin, etc. and not by maven core (granted you locked plugin versions as one should do, sure), the risk is very low that there's anything different (without upgrading one of those plugin which may new behaviour and/or bug.

We migrated from m2 to m3 some time ago a quite big numbers of projects (I'd say more 30+ if talking about multimodule build, and even tens or hundreds if you speak of projects/modules), and we didn't encounter importantly noticeable differences.

Cheers

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.

Posted by Gordon Cody <go...@zafin.com>.
The first project I was switching to mvn3 I was also skeptical about the
ear produced being the same.

You must ensure both mvn2 and mvn3 use the same version of java (check
using mvn -version)

Separately explode the ear created by each version of mvn (lets call them A
and B) and and all war files within each ear using winzip or 7zip or some
other tool.
Use windiff to compare the exploded folders getting it to show any files
only in A or or only B and anything not identical.

There should not be any files that are only in one set or the other. All
differences have to be investigated. Only items that contain
date/timestrings or timestamps should show up. These may appear in your
manifest.mf (time of build) . Some 3rd party tools put date/time objects
into files also (e.g. flex).  These would also show as differences. Any
jars with differences need to be exploded so you can see which file(s) are
different inside of them. Looking at the differences in class files is
doable also but not pretty.

Regards, Gord Cody
gordon.cody@zafin.com

--
Best Regards, Gord Cody

Release Manager  Zafin Labs Americas Inc.
179 Colonnade Road-Suite 100, Ottawa ON, Canada
Phone: +1 (613) 216-2504  Fax: +1 (613) 688-1374  Mobile: +1 613-601-2734
Web: http://zafin.com  Email: gordon.cody@zafin.com