Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by le...@hpa.com.au on 2003/06/10 07:45:07 UTC

Separate projects via ra_dav

I have got everything running OK for Subversion 0.23 today, and am currently
playing around with different project layouts, planning a migration from a
large (> 1100 modules) CVS code base of client projects.

And its all going well, except for the continual addition of <Location>
stanza's in httpd.conf

As each project is a separate repository (that is my proposed layout), each
repository gets a <Location> entry in the httpd.conf file if I envision that
projects developers will need web-based access.

And that is a lot of entries.

Has anyone else addressed this issue, and does anyone have a neater solution
than a never-ending conf file ? (the apache conf-file include mechanism is
known to me, and is just marginally better).

Leif Eriksen
Developer
HPA - IT Development
+61 3 9217 5545
leif.eriksen@hpa.com.au

IMPORTANT
The contents of this e-mail and its attachments are confidential and intended
addressed.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify
the HPA Postmaster, postmaster@hpa.com.au, then delete
the e-mail.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for
the presence of computer viruses by MimeSweeper.  Before opening or
using any attachments, check them for viruses and defects.

Our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.

HPA collects personal information to provide and market our services.
For more information about use, disclosure and access see our Privacy
Policy at www.hpa.com.au

Re: Separate projects via ra_dav

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 05:45:07PM +1000, leif.eriksen@hpa.com.au wrote:
[snip]
> As each project is a separate repository (that is my proposed layout),
> each repository gets a <Location> entry in the httpd.conf file if I
> envision that projects developers will need web-based access.
>
> And that is a lot of entries.
[snip]

Use just one <Location> block, but use SVNParentPath instead of SVNPath.
See Chapter 5 of the book:

	http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch05s04.html#svn-ch-5-sect-4.1

	If you plan to support multiple Subversion repositories that
	will reside in the same parent directory on your local disk, you
	can use an alternative directive, the SVNParentPath directive,
	to indicate that common parent directory. For example, if you
	know you will be creating multiple Subversion repositories in a
	directory /usr/local/svn that would be accessed via URLs like
	http://my.server.com/svn/repos1,
	http://my.server.com/svn/repos2, and so on, you could use the
	httpd.conf  configuration syntax in the following example:

	<Location /svn>
	  DAV svn
	  SVNParentPath /usr/local/svn
	</Location>

	Using the previous syntax, Apache will delegate the handling of
	all URLs whose path portions begin with /svn/ to the Subversion
	DAV provider, which will then assume that any items in the
	directory specified by the SVNParentPath directive are actually
	Subversion repositories. This is a particularly convenient
	syntax in that, unlike the use of the SVNPath directive, you
	don't have to restart Apache in order to create and network new
	repositories.

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>