Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Knox, Laurie A, NPONS" <la...@att.com> on 2001/06/26 01:56:18 UTC

Persistance in mod_perl

Hello all,

We are just getting started with mod_perl, installed on Sun Solaris 2.8,
Apache 1.3.20, Perl 5.005_03.  I have DBI and Oracle DBD installed.  In our
application, we want to have a user login to the database, and maintain the
connection until they logoff.  We also want to maintain state between
various forms as the user utilizes the application.

We've read the mod_perl FAQ, parts of the Apache Modules book, info in
Apache Server books, the CGI.pm perldoc, etc.
We're pretty confused at this point about how to proceed.

For example do we need any additional modules to maintain the database
connection and/or form state?

Each time you "call" your Perl program that is available via mod_perl (via
direct URL or forms-generated URL), is a new instance created?  If not, what
is the entry point into the existing instance?  For example, should our Perl
program sit in a loop reading URLs?
Does each user get their own instance of the Perl program?  Or, is it shared
among users?
Does the Perl program run as a thread in the httpd process?

How / when does the Perl program terminate?

TIA for any assistance you can provide!

	Laurie

Laurie Knox
AT&T - NETAC