Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Tim Robertson <ti...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/08 10:16:45 UTC

2.7.0 release notes inconsistent with released code

Hi folks

Our release notes [1] for 2.7.0 say that Beam supports Elasticsearch 6 (
BEAM-5107 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-5107>). The 2.7.0
code [2] however does not seem to, while master does [3]. The PR [4] was
merged on the 6th September and in the 2.7.0 chat I see that Charles
announced:

I will cut the initial 2.7.0 release branch on September 7.

Is this a case of unfortunate timing (it was cut early?) and we just
overlooked cherry picking that commit do you think?

Do we correct release notes when mistakes are spotted?

Thanks,
Tim

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12319527&version=12343654
[2]
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/release-2.7.0/sdks/java/io/elasticsearch/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/elasticsearch/ElasticsearchIO.java#L1243
[3]
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/java/io/elasticsearch/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/elasticsearch/ElasticsearchIO.java#L1268

Re: 2.7.0 release notes inconsistent with released code

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 3:17 AM Tim Robertson <ti...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do we correct release notes when mistakes are spotted?

I think we should, yes. Release notes are long-lived documents that should
be accurate. The correction should be mentioned in the notes so that anyone
who previously read the incorrect release notes is alerted.

Kenn

Re: 2.7.0 release notes inconsistent with released code

Posted by Tim Robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andrew - and sorry folks, that was simply me doing a bad email
search as I looked into the issue. I don't think there is much more to do
communicate.

I just corrected the label in Jira and I see the release notes are updated
automatically - I'm not sure how we can include a note to say that adjusted
though as they seem fully dynamic. I presume it is enough as it is?

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Pilloud <ap...@google.com>.