Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by scott russell <sc...@hotmail.com> on 2009/01/22 01:44:21 UTC

Disabling onBlur field validation

Hi all,

I have just started with Tapestry 5 (having previously used versions 3 and 4), and have found that while I like the new client-side validation bubbles, they are very distracting and annoying when they appear for every focus change between form fields.

So my question is - does anyone know a way to turn them off for onBlur events only, but retain them for form submit events? It's quite unlikely customers will tolerate these error messages appearing every time they click between fields, but I would prefer to not turn off client-side validation completely, which looks like the only alternative at the moment.

cheers,
Scott Russell

Messenger's gift to you! Download free emoticons today!
http://livelife.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=669758

Re: Disabling onBlur field validation

Posted by Borut BolĨina <bo...@gmail.com>.
2009/1/22 scott russell <sc...@hotmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I have just started with Tapestry 5 (having previously used versions 3 and
> 4), and have found that while I like the new client-side validation bubbles,
> they are very distracting and annoying when they appear for every focus
> change between form fields.
>
> So my question is - does anyone know a way to turn them off for onBlur
> events only, but retain them for form submit events? It's quite unlikely
> customers will tolerate these error messages appearing every time they click
> between fields, but I would prefer to not turn off client-side validation
> completely, which looks like the only alternative at the moment.
>
> cheers,
> Scott Russell

+1 for turning off the onBlur validation

We have done some UI testing on users trying to use a registration wizard
which collects some mandatory data on step 1 and have found it unacceptable
that validation bubbles are popping up whenever users jump between fields.

Do I have to ditch custom side validation altogether or is there a
workaround? I would like the custom side validation only happens when the
user submits the form(fragment).

Cheers,
Borut