Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@hyrumwright.org> on 2011/07/06 20:18:35 UTC

1.7.0-alpha3 tarballs up for testing / signing

All,

The next in our series of 1.7.0 prereleases is now posted for testing
and signing: 1.7.0-alpha3.  These are cut from trunk, and the magic
rev is r1143483.  The buildbots were green at that rev, and all tests
pass for me locally[1].  You can find them here:
http://people.apache.org/~hwright/svn/1.7.0-alpha3/

The number of known issues since the first couple of alpha releases
has decreased, and the purpose of this release continues to be to give
distributors and downstream consumers a concrete milestone against
which to test, as well as vet our release processes on ASF
infrastructure.  As you may expect, these prereleases are intended for
intrepid users and testers only.  The new release scripts appear to be
behaving themselves, though any reports to the contrary would be of
great interest.

I hope to get signatures from folks by the end of Friday, July 8, and
then do the public announcement.  Historically, we've not required a
full set of signatures for alphas and betas, but it would be nice to
get at least some coverage besides just my own.  As you send in your
signature announcement, please note any issues you found with this
release (these will be included in the public announcement).

Please send sigs here:
http://work.hyrumwright.org/pub/svn/collect_sigs.py

Thanks,
-Hyrum

[1] I did have trouble with the perl bindings, but I think that it's a
local issue, since all of the tests failed.  Confirmation one way or
the other would be nice.

Re: 1.7.0-alpha3 tarballs up for testing / signing

Posted by Senthil Kumaran S <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org> wrote:
> Historically the "uncompress / recompress / get original compressed
> file" process has been noticeably more reliable with bzip2 than gzip.
> Probably because there is only one canonical bzip2 implementation,
> whereas there are quite a few implementations of the gzip algorithm,
> and they will not necessarily all produce exactly the same compressed
> output.  gzip also has tuning flags such as --rsyncable (may still be
> Debian-specific, I'm not sure) which bzip2 does not.

Thanks for the explanation.

> Thus if you want to only download one file, and check the checksum of
> both, you should download the .gz and recompress it to .bz2, not vice
> versa.

I never used to do this in the past. I got the .tar.gz from .bz2 as
mentioned here -
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#tarball-signing
- May be we need to rev the piece of text in that link.

Thank You.
--
Senthil Kumaran S
http://www.stylesen.org/

Re: 1.7.0-alpha3 tarballs up for testing / signing

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[Senthil Kumaran S]

Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

Re: 1.7.0-alpha3 tarballs up for testing / signing

Posted by Senthil Kumaran S <st...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Hyrum K Wright <hy...@hyrumwright.org> wrote:
> The next in our series of 1.7.0 prereleases is now posted for testing
> and signing: 1.7.0-alpha3.  These are cut from trunk, and the magic
> rev is r1143483.  The buildbots were green at that rev, and all tests
> pass for me locally[1].  You can find them here:
> http://people.apache.org/~hwright/svn/1.7.0-alpha3/

sha1sum does not match! See the following:

<snip>
$ sha1sum subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.tar.bz2
886dcc0a98cd37f5c66a2fca11cd53463af68163  subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.tar.bz2
$ bzip2 -cd subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.tar.bz2 | gzip -9n >
subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.tar.gz
$ sha1sum subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.tar.gz
a63848e563f89fcbaf3e1e88e80d4f6be822a656  subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.tar.gz
</snip>

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
NOTE:  The collect-sigs.py script is currently failing:

   [Errno 13] Permission denied:
u'/home/hwright/dev/release/sigs/subversion-1.6.16.tar.bz2.asc'

   +1 to release.

Platform:

   Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid) Linux.

Tested:

   (local, svn, neon, serf) x (bdb, fsfs) + py + pl + rb + javahl

Results:

   All tests pass.

MD5 Checksums:

   d47db23dd9315f7461d012d9a3aef0e6  subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.tar.gz
   f96db6e195c49a38db4282440fac65e3  subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.tar.bz2

GPG Signatures (left-aligned because Hyrum likes it that way):

C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: 1.7.0-alpha3 tarballs up for testing / signing

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
[Sending it to the list this time.]

  +1 to release

Platform:

  Linux (Debian/squeeze)

Tested:

  tarball + local dependencies
  (local, svn, svn+sasl, serf, neon) x (fsfs, bdb)
  swig-pl, swig-py, swig-rb, javahl
  (serf/v1, neon/v1) x (fsfs)

Results:

  All tests PASS

Local dependencies:

  apache2-threaded-dev : 2.2.16-6+squeeze1
  libapr1-dev : 1.4.2-6+squeeze3
  libaprutil1-dev : 1.3.9+dfsg-5
  libdb4.8-dev : 4.8.30-2
  libneon27-dev : 0.29.3-3
  libsasl2-dev : 2.1.23.dfsg1-7
  libsqlite3-dev : 3.7.3-1
  perl : 5.10.1-17squeeze2
  python2.6-dev : 2.6.6-8+b1
  ruby1.8-dev : 1.8.7.302-2squeeze1
  openjdk-6-jdk : 6b18-1.8.7-2~squeeze1
  serf : trunk@1516

subversion-1.7-alpha3.tar.bz2

subversion-1.7-alpha3.tar.gz

--
uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
http://www.uberSVN.com

Re: 1.7.0-alpha3 tarballs up for testing / signing

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 01:18:35PM -0500, Hyrum K Wright wrote:
> All,
>
> The next in our series of 1.7.0 prereleases is now posted for testing
> and signing: 1.7.0-alpha3.  These are cut from trunk, and the magic
> rev is r1143483.  The buildbots were green at that rev, and all tests
> pass for me locally[1].  You can find them here:
> http://people.apache.org/~hwright/svn/1.7.0-alpha3/
>
> The number of known issues since the first couple of alpha releases
> has decreased, and the purpose of this release continues to be to give
> distributors and downstream consumers a concrete milestone against
> which to test, as well as vet our release processes on ASF
> infrastructure.  As you may expect, these prereleases are intended for
> intrepid users and testers only.  The new release scripts appear to be
> behaving themselves, though any reports to the contrary would be of
> great interest.
>
> I hope to get signatures from folks by the end of Friday, July 8, and
> then do the public announcement.  Historically, we've not required a
> full set of signatures for alphas and betas, but it would be nice to
> get at least some coverage besides just my own.  As you send in your
> signature announcement, please note any issues you found with this
> release (these will be included in the public announcement).
>
> Please send sigs here:
> http://work.hyrumwright.org/pub/svn/collect_sigs.py

Tested: [bdb | fsfs] x [ra_local | ra_svn | ra_neon | ra_serf]
        swig bindings

Test results: All passed, except that I had to run 'make extraclean-swig-py'
              before 'make swig-py' to avoid errors in python binding tests:
                _core.so: undefined symbol 'SWIG_Python_str_DelForPy3'
                _core.so: undefined symbol 'SWIG_Python_str_FromFormat'
                _core.so: undefined symbol 'SWIG_Python_str_FromChar'
                _core.so: undefined symbol 'SWIG_Python_str_AsChar'
              Apparently the swig-generated files shipped with the tarball
              do not work for me, so I had to regenerate with swig-1.3.36.
              I've also seen this problem during OpenSUSE package builds
              of earlier alphas.

              With that out of the way, one python bindings test was still
              failing but this was a local build issue (conflicting versions of
              different bdb and sqlite libaries loaded into the same process).

Platform: OpenBSD 4.9 amd64

Dependencies:
bdb:        4.7.25
GNU-iconv:  1.13.1
apr:        1.4.5
apr-util:   1.3.12
httpd:      2.2.19
neon:       0.29.6
serf:       0.7.x
cyrus-sasl: 2.1.23
sqlite:     3070603
openssl:    1.0.0a
swig:       1.3.36
python:     2.6.6
perl:       5.12.2
ruby:       1.8.7-p334

Signatures:

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Hyrum K Wright <hy...@hyrumwright.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> The next in our series of 1.7.0 prereleases is now posted for testing
> and signing: 1.7.0-alpha3.  These are cut from trunk, and the magic
> rev is r1143483.  The buildbots were green at that rev, and all tests
> pass for me locally[1].  You can find them here:
> http://people.apache.org/~hwright/svn/1.7.0-alpha3/
>
> The number of known issues since the first couple of alpha releases
> has decreased, and the purpose of this release continues to be to give
> distributors and downstream consumers a concrete milestone against
> which to test, as well as vet our release processes on ASF
> infrastructure.  As you may expect, these prereleases are intended for
> intrepid users and testers only.  The new release scripts appear to be
> behaving themselves, though any reports to the contrary would be of
> great interest.
>
> I hope to get signatures from folks by the end of Friday, July 8, and
> then do the public announcement.  Historically, we've not required a
> full set of signatures for alphas and betas, but it would be nice to
> get at least some coverage besides just my own.  As you send in your
> signature announcement, please note any issues you found with this
> release (these will be included in the public announcement).
>
> Please send sigs here:
> http://work.hyrumwright.org/pub/svn/collect_sigs.py
>
> Thanks,
> -Hyrum
>
> [1] I did have trouble with the perl bindings, but I think that it's a
> local issue, since all of the tests failed.  Confirmation one way or
> the other would be nice.

SUMMARY:
---------
+1 to release

VERIFIED:
---------
Hyrum's sig for
http://people.apache.org/~hwright/svn/1.7.0-alpha3/deploy/subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.zip

Other than the expected differences in
subversion/include/svn_version.h,
http://people.apache.org/~hwright/svn/1.7.0-alpha3/deploy/subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.zip
is the same as https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk@1143483.

TESTED:
-------
[Release-Build] x[ fsfs | bdb ] x [ file | svn | http (neon) | http (serf) ]
Ruby bindings (locally patched as described here: )
JavaHL Bindinds

RESULTS:
--------
All Pass[1]

PLATFORM:
---------
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Intel Core i7 M 620 2.67GHz 4 GB RAM
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP

DEPENDENCIES:
-------------
APR: 1.4.5
APR-UTIL: 1.3.12
Neon: 0.29.5
zlib: 1.2.4
OpenSSL: 0.9.8q
Apache: 2.2.19
BDB: 4.8.30
sqlite: 3.7.7.1
Python: 2.6.6 (ActivePython 2.6.6.17)
Perl: 5.10.1
Ruby: ruby 1.8.7
java: 1.6.0_21
junit: 4.8.2
swig: 1.3.40
serf: trunk@1516

SIGNATURE:
----------

http://people.apache.org/~hwright/svn/1.7.0-alpha3/deploy/subversion-1.7.0-alpha3.zip:

Note that collect_sigs.py failed for me as well, an call trace is attached.

Paul

[1] When I first ran the 8-way tests this API test failed each time:

[[[
svn_tests: E125001: Couldn't determine absolute path of 'D:\dir'
svn_tests: E020024: The given path is misformatted or contained
invalid characters
FAIL:  dirent_uri-test.exe 35: test svn_dirent_condense_targets
]]]

I re-ran that test individually last night and it failed.  I put it
aside till this morning and a fresh reboot later it passes (*no*
rebuild of the binaries and both debug and release builds work).  Not
sure what to make of this, I've never seen anything like it before,
but I can no longer reproduce it.