Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/01 00:07:42 UTC

Re: Health care software utilizing CouchDB

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com> wrote:
> You can encrypt the sensitive data, base64-encode the resulting blob and then put that into a property of a document.
> The disadvantage, of course, is that you can’t index or filter based on this data because view functions can’t read it.
> The only alternative I can think of is to encrypt the entire database file, which would probably involve splicing into CouchDB at a low level to insert a block cipher into the file I/O code.

With some modifications of query server you're still able to index
encrypted data suffering perfomance penalty from encryption/decryption
ops. Filters, however, could not work properly at all (e.g.
startkey/endkey against some vital data) in this case, but you could
design your view in way to workaround this problem.

--