Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Manoj Unnikrishnan <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/16 18:40:53 UTC

generate pdf files and print them to a specific paper bin

I want to generate pdf files and print them to a
specific paper bin. How can I do this?
Can I do this while using fop to generate the PDF.
When the PDF is printed I want the first page to be
printed on letter head paper and all the others on
plain paper.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Manoj Unnikrishnan

Re: generate pdf files and print them to a specific paper bin

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I've implemented it like this:
- I've produced PDF using FOP,
- converted the PDF to PostScript using the command line of a Unix
  version of Acrobat Reader 4.05
- and inserted the PostScript commands for paper bin selection into the
  PostScript stream. (Works well because the Acrobat Reader produces a
  rather nice PostScript with DSC comments what makes things like that
  very easy.)

Good luck.

On 16.01.2003 18:40:53 Manoj Unnikrishnan wrote:
> I want to generate pdf files and print them to a
> specific paper bin. How can I do this?
> Can I do this while using fop to generate the PDF.
> When the PDF is printed I want the first page to be
> printed on letter head paper and all the others on
> plain paper.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: PPD parser (was: generate pdf files and print them to a specific paper bin)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Uh, if you manage to come up with a reasonable start for a PPD parser
that would be cool.

On 16.01.2003 18:49:33 Arnd Beißner wrote:
> For a customer who urgently needed the same kind
> of thing, we switched to PostScript output with FOP
> and extended (well, so far it's rather a hack)
> FOP's PS renderer to support PPD commands.

Jeremias Maerki

Feedback

Posted by Patrick Dean Rusk <Pa...@attbi.com>.
	I just wanted you all to know that I've been using FOP as the chief
enabling technology in a product I'm building, and it has been very useful
and powerful.  Granted, I have to live within some of the limitations (like
the blind tables business), but I've been able to get some very nice things
done even so.

	You've done a great job.

	If my product finds a market[1], I should have the time in a few months to
contribute to FOP's further development.  I'm particularly in need of inline
containers, and, of course, better keep/break handling would be nice (as if
that wasn't already known).

	Thanks for all of your work and dedication.

Patrick Rusk

[1] If it doesn't find a market, I'll have to find a real job...

RE: generate pdf files and print them to a specific paper bin

Posted by "Volker Reichel@vrsoft.de" <vo...@VRSoft.de>.
Hi Manoj,

there is a way to use different paper sizes at least for some
HP printers (i.e. HP LaserJet 2200 model). The printer driver
lets you choose which sheet size should be used to print the first
page.
Maybe this helps

Volker