Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by leerho <le...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/10 23:39:55 UTC

[VOTE-SUMMARY] Proposal to deprecate Google Groups

The vote letter of Feb 6th 10:22 AM PST has been approved and is now closed.

We had a very useful discussion with a number of good suggestions!

We had 6 (+1) votes: Jon, Eric, Kenn, Dave, Evans, Alex.  No 0 or -1 votes.

We had the following suggestions:

1. Jon: Add a footer appending to user@ messages, inviting people to
joining dev@ to get
involved with development. So I'm very much not trying to hide the dev@
list. just keep user questions separate from development questions.

2. Kenn: Add an auto reply to the Google Group with a
convenient link to mailto:users-subscribe@datasketches.apache.org and leave
the group for a while, or indefinitely.

3. Kenn: Users show up in Slack and StackOverflow too. Worth considering
how to tie these together to include all these different sorts of users.
>> Unresolved how to do this.

4. Kenn: set up user@/users@ aliases.

5. Evans: WRT #2:
I think it helps to migrate the users by putting up a deadline which is the
date to set the forum to be read-only alongside with the new users@
message. After that date users can still read previous discussions, but
can't post a new one.

I will proceed to create the users@ list. Once that is up, I will start
closing down the GG forum and updating documentation.

Lee.

Re: [VOTE-SUMMARY] Proposal to deprecate Google Groups

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Will do.
Thanks!

Lee.