Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jev <je...@ecad.org> on 2002/05/01 16:41:10 UTC

subversion viable replacement to MS sourcesafe?

Hello all,

I work with a small development team who uses MS Source-Safe. We will
move to CVS, unless at this point subversion could do the job instead.

Would subversion be a viable replacement to CVS right now? What kind of
interface besides command line (I love the command line, but my
colleagues wouldn't be so keen im afraid!) are available to windows
users? Is it possible to use IE/WebFolders and WebDav or have I
miss-understood the application of the WebDav interface?

If I don't go with subversion right now, I certainly will when it
is fully ready :)

Regards,
-Jev

--
http://www.ecad.org/~jev/jev.gpg
Key fingerprint = 748B 2346 1683 6384 5E8D  4EE3 0807 EADB 999E AB95

Re: subversion viable replacement to MS sourcesafe?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Jev <je...@ecad.org> writes:

> Hello all,

Hi Jev!

> I work with a small development team who uses MS Source-Safe. We will
> move to CVS, unless at this point subversion could do the job instead.

Having used MSS myself, I extend my condolences.  :-)

> Would subversion be a viable replacement to CVS right now?

It's in pre-alpha, pretty stable, but still some bugs.  Read the FAQ
on the website: "Is Subversion stable enough for me to use for my own
projects?"  We've been using subversion to develop subversion since
last August, and no major problems yet.  I might even venture to say
the experience has been pleasureable.

> What kind of interface besides command line (I love the command
> line, but my colleagues wouldn't be so keen im afraid!) are
> available to windows users?

Command-line only right now, although because of our portabality
library (APR), it works on Win32.

Folks are working on client GUIs, but they're all still vaporware.

> Is it possible to use IE/WebFolders and WebDav or have I
> miss-understood the application of the WebDav interface?

You can currently mount an SVN repository as a "web folder" in Win32
or MacOSX.  However, you can't write to the share.  The subversion
server doesn't yet support the webdav "auto-versioning feature"
(i.e. support clients that are unaware of the webdav/deltaV
extensions.)  That feature may not exist for a while, unless some
volunteer gets motivated.