Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2007/10/24 16:38:59 UTC

[vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project

Hi!

Lets start up the long awaited MyFaces Commons project.

The aim of this project will be to contain all stuff which do not belong
to a component.

[ ] +1 yea, lets start
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 no, for those reasons .....

I'll do the maven work then (a not very sophisticated one, just copy it
from another of our modules)

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
David,
Yes, attaching your goodies as attachment to a jira issue will be fine.
Thanks in advance,
Manfred

Posted by David Brainard <sd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 10/28/07, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> Hi!
> > 1. Clear separation of API and IMPL (at least on package level, better
> > by separate artifacts).  Mind that the idea behind these commons
> > classes is that many other projects use them - and therefore depend on
> > them. So a clear and stable API is essential.
> >
> I wanted this to be an easy utils project and not yet-another-framework.
> In fact, there might be stuff in there which has an API and an IMPL, but
> this is not necessarily required. Static utils classes wont have an API.
> Shouldn't it be possible to have a stable API even without separating it
> out?

Have a look at http://commons.apache.org/beanutils/apidocs/org/apache/commons/beanutils/BeanUtils.html
for an example how static utils CAN be clearly separated into api and impl.
The static method holders ("Utils" classes) are located in the api
subproject, the default implementation bean would live in the impl src
root.

> > 2. Let's start to name svn folders the same as the artifacts. This
> > seems to be best practice in many other maven projects. And there are
> > good reasons to do this.
> > So, the new project should be located in a folder named like
> > "myfaces-commons" with two sub folders "myfaces-commons-api" and
> > "myfaces-commons-impl".
> >
> I don't like that but wouldn't veto if we think this should be done that
> way, just, remember how this would look like:
>
> /home/im/projects/myfaces12/commons/myfaces-commons/myfaces-commons-api/src/main/java
> /home/im/projects/myfaces12/commons/myfaces-commons/myfaces-commons-impl/src/main/java
>
> I think the middle part is overly redundant.

There IS redundant information in the path. Yes. But the reason why
many developers prefer this naming scheme is human not technical.
Human brains are faster in recognizing icons and patterns than
thinking in hierachical structures. Imagine having many expanded
folders in your IDE or Explorer. It's simply faster to scan only the
leaves of your folder tree structure than to scan structurally: "Ok,
here is the folder 'api' - hmm which api? Ah, yes, it's attached to
something called 'commons'. Okaaaay. Hey, it's dangling on that
'myfaces' node. Yippieh, I found the 'myfaces-commons-api' folder!"
Ever wondered why most people like "labelling" their documents (or
emails or bookmarks!) more than file them in hierachical structures? I
admit, I once was a structure fanatic. My bookmarks all lived in deep
folder structures. And I seldom found them again. :-)
GMail, GMarks, Picasa changed my life...

;-)

--Manfred

Re: [vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 10/27/07, Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> But to avoid common design mistakes I propose some additional
> issues/prerequisites:
>
> 1. Clear separation of API and IMPL (at least on package level, better
> by separate artifacts).  Mind that the idea behind these commons
> classes is that many other projects use them - and therefore depend on
> them. So a clear and stable API is essential.

+1

> 2. Let's start to name svn folders the same as the artifacts. This
> seems to be best practice in many other maven projects. And there are
> good reasons to do this.
> So, the new project should be located in a folder named like
> "myfaces-commons" with two sub folders "myfaces-commons-api" and
> "myfaces-commons-impl".

+1

> BTW, some other candidates for commons classes are "trivial" utils
> like this one:
> public static void doNavigation(String outcome) {
>         FacesContext facesContext = FacesContext.getCurrentInstance();
>         NavigationHandler navigationHandler =
> facesContext.getApplication().getNavigationHandler();
>         navigationHandler.handleNavigation(facesContext, null, outcome);
>     }
>
> Yes, no big deal. But convenient, though, to have this code in one
> good place instead of inventing a new "JSFUtils" class for every new
> customer project...  ;-)

+1 let's create some (one) static beast(s) .. :-)

-Matze

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: [vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 10/27/07, Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> The NonFacesRequestServlet is also a candidate for myfaces-commons.

+1

> Should we start a myfaces-common-fileupload project, too?

+1

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
+1

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is perhaps another reason why this might best be placed
under Tomahawk.

We already have a Tomahawk sandbox in place for both Jdk 1.5 and
pre-1.5.   Once a sandbox component is ready for promotion, part of
the evaluation could be deciding if it should go into the
works-with-anything commons project or the less-compatible Tomahawk
project.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Smits <ro...@gmail.com>.
But if you call it myfaces basics, or myfaces components aren't you then at
least sending the message that this is myfaces impl specific?.
>From following the thread here I was under the impression that the
components for this common project would be usable, like the apache commons,
in JSF projects. Not just myfaces specific, but general jsf projects. At
work we use tomahawk 1.1.5 for example, but I have done several projects
where the sun implementation was used instead of the myfaces one (don't ask
me why, just repeat "office politics" a few times). This kind of cross usage
was what I was expecting in the commons project we are talking about here.

Ron Smits

On 10/27/07, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, just as another side note, other than requests for programming
> apis to make JSF AJAX easier, I don't really recall end-users asking
> for convenience JSF programming APIs.   Most of those who talk about
> it are already using them in Tomahawk as Tomahawk committers.
>
> But there have been a number of end-users asking for the ability to
> use t:saveState or validators or converters from Tomahawk (and
> t:dataList, although no one is interested in the html-rendering
> functionality of this component, just the enhanced repeat loop it
> provides).   This is why we're proposing it.
>
> And since I see that I didn't directly answer your comment on "MyFaces
> Base Components", I'm ok with that name instead of MyFaces Commons :-)
>
> In fact, I think maybe "MyFaces Basics" makes even more sense.
>

> On 10/27/07, Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, we need to be careful about what goes in. And we should agree on
> > some rules here. Is lazy consensus enough? Or should every addition
> > require an official vote (on a regarding jira issue)?
> >
> > Mike, the original intention of the jsf commons project was a
> > collection of useful jsf stuff (helpers and utilities) that is
> > convenient for component and application (and jsf implementation)
> > developers. This includes renderkit (html) specific stuff. There is no
> > harm in html specific stuff as long as it is really useful for many
> > people and it is located in a clearly separated java package.
> >
> > Having common (renderkit independent) "components" was not the primary
> > goal AFAIR. I'd rather see these in another new project: something
> > like "MyFaces Base Components"
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > --Manfred
> >

> > On 10/27/07, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think we're starting to confuse the focus here.
> > >
> > > There's a difference between common components that can be used with
> > > any JSF project, and common programming utilities, many of which may
> > > be renderkit (like html) specific.
> > >
> > > I'm ok with common programming utilities being in this project, but
> > > we're going to need to be careful regarding what we put into it.  But
> > > we do need to be careful about what goes in it.

> better
> on

> are

> ();
> outcome);

> belong

> copy it

> > --
> > http://www.irian.at
> > Your JSF powerhouse - JSF Consulting,
> > Development and Courses in English and
> > German

I reject your reality and substitute my own
   --- Adam Savage, the mythbusters

Re: [vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

nice name yes, but i think this project should not be for "MyFaces
Basics" but for a kind of
jsf commons.

I would  prefer a name like "MyFaces JSF Commons" to make clear this
is a library useable for all jsf implementations and librarys like the
apache-commons-* for java projects.

Imho the best name would be apache-commons-jsf, but i don't think this
is possible while having this under the myfaces umbrella.

Regards,
    Volker

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
No, it's not.   There are components in Tomahawk that depend on
javascript.   There are components in tomahawk that depend on MyFaces
core (aliasBean).   There are components in Tomahawk that depend on
dojo.   There are components in Tomahawk that depends on the MyFaces
form.

Right now, Tomahawk is a mix of many different things, some of which
are useful in Tobago and most of which are not useful in Tobago.

Again, I think that this project makes more sense as a subproject of
Tomahawk (the truely-independent-works-anywhere part) rather than as a
separate project.   But the hope is that we will produce a
components-that-work-anywhere.jar which can be dropped into Tobago or
Trinidad or WAP or Seam or Xforms-renderkit or Swing-Renderkit or
whatever.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Manfred, I think we're using the same terminology to mean different
things, which is what I was afraid of.

The project Mario/Volker/Myself/others proposed was for
renderkit-independent components, not for common programming apis.

Ie, the goal is to make available to Tobago and Trinidad those parts
of Tomahawk which are not incompatible.   Also, it's to move such
things out of Tobago (and maybe Trinidad) into a common place (like
the non-Faces-request-processor-servlet-filter).

Perhaps we still need to work out naming conventions, but let's be
clear that the proposed purpose of this project proposal deals with
components not apis.

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

+1

although the thing from tomahawk i was missing most, aliasBean,  did
not fit into tobagos layout system.
But things like converters and validators should work with any implementation.

Regards,
    Volker

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
ja, same here

+1

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
ok, sounds good.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: [result][vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
We're discussing two completely different concepts here.

One is an api for writing new components.   For component developers.

One is a library of common renderkit-independent components for use in
JSF applications.  For application developers.

Attempting to combine them is going to shortchange one side or the other.

Either the library is going to end up with dependencies on
renderkit-specific stuff, or the api is going to be severely limited
in what it provides.

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
The point is:
For myfaces-jsfcommons-components we must provide additional stuff in the
jar. You know: taglib, faces-config.xml, ...

This is what we do NOT want in the myfaces-jsfcommons-utils jars to
 - keep it simple, and
 - avoid unwanted side-effects

Please mind: Not yet sure, but the myfaces-jsfcommons-utils might propably
become a jar that myfaces-core-impl depends on in the future. So, we should
really keep all real components out of it. Which on the same time does not
forbid convenient Renderer utils in myfaces-jsfcommons-utils of course.

--Manfred

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Well, I think there's probably enough difference between the two goals
that we do need to separate projects, even though it contributes to
the "Yet Another MyFaces Subproject" quagmire.   At least it's a step
in the right direction since we're looking at merging common code
rather than futher separation.

Let's leave the components -> api dependency out until such time that
it's explicitly needed.

Need summary of intent and contend to each MyFaces JSF Commons subproject was (Re: [result][vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project)

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Please summarize the intent and proposed contents of each subproject on
a wiki page.  A common refactoring page already exists [1].  The
resulting pages should be moved in each project's site documentation

Paul Spencer

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/MyFaces_Commons_Refactoring

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.

Name for "MyFaces Common Project" was Re: [result][vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
I like Manfred Geiler idea around MyFaces JSF Commons.

Paul Spencer

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Smits <ro...@ronsmits.org>.
I can live with that

Ron

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

see inline

2007/10/31, Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>:
> A taglib and a faces-config in the META-INF are loaded/registered
> automatically.

inluence to the application as long they are not used. Other things
like ViewHandler, ... should not included in the faces-config as mario
wrote.

> And as I already mentioned, it should be possible to use the commons utils
> from the core impl. Automatically loading extensions(!) is not what we want
> when using the myfaces core implementation.

We have already shared for this. When introducing the shared code
there was a discussion about/against putting this into a own jar with
dependency in impl. The result was against, because is should be
possible to replace the two RI jars by just two myfaces jars.
I don't like the repackaging of shared into impl and tomahawk, but i
don't think this commons-utils should be a renamed shared?

> There is some stuff in shared that makes sense to be moved to commons utils.
> So this is not only theoretical.
>
> And don't forget about all those (renderkit-independent!) converters and
> validators. People might argue for putting them into a jsfcommons components
> artifact. What about the Joda converter that Matthias suggested? What is the
> reason it should go into Trinidad? It is not renderkit-specific or somehow
> related to Trinidad. So, a perfect candidate for jsfcommons-components,
> right?

Converters and Validators should go into the commons, as long there is
nothing of the faces-config which makes influence to a running app
just py putting this jar into classpath.

> (There would even be place for a separate jsfcommons-converters artifacts,
> IMHO)
>
> BTW, I do not understand why some of you are so scared by multiple
> jsfcommons artifacts.
> The Apache Commons Proper consists of 35 different "Components" and nobody
> cares. Quite the contrary, everybody is glad there is not only one bloated
> commons.jar when he/she needs just commons-logging or some of the DbUtils,
> right?

I'm not scared about multiple jsf-commons artifacts, i'ts perfectly ok
for me to have a jsfcommons-validators, jsfcommons-converters,
jsfcommons-components (if someone could describe what is going in
here), and so on.

I didn't know before that jsfcommons-utils was proposed as
jsf-developer utils and i don't know why we need this as replacement
for shared.
Imho the myfaces-jsf-commons should contain classes and tools for
application developers.
I have no problem in making shared a own artifact, but i don't like
the name commons-util for that.
I also don't like having validators, converters and maybe other non
components in a *-components artifact.

Regards,
    Volker

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
yes, fine!
please consider the following structure:

myfaces-jsfcommons
   |---- myfaces-jsfcommons-api
   |---- myfaces-jsfcommons-impl
   |---- myfaces-jsfcommons-sandbox

(we must avoid the name "myfaces-commons" for there was once a project
with that name - see maven repo!)

api = the classes and interfaces, that users will directly use (ie.
import) in their code (= compile scope dependency)
impl = internal implementation classes, users will need during runtime
only (= runtime scope dependency)

furthermore:
 - api classes and interfaces must not change between two bugfix
releases (eg. from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1)
 - api classes and interfaces might vary (be extended) between two
minor releases (eg. from 1.0.3 to 1.1.0) - BUT only backwards
compatible!
 - api classes and interfaces might be totally different between two
major releases (eg. from 1.5.3 to 2.0.0) - BUT need not  ;-)
 - impl classes (and interfaces) can be changed, added, removed,
refactored whenever needed

This is no unnecessary effort IMHO. jsfcommons can only be successful
and widely accepted if users can confide in a stable API that is not
subject to change on every single release. In a community driven
project this is only possible with some rules. And systematically
separating API from Impl classes in different JARs make these rules
very simple and intuitive.

--Manfred

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I hope I can spend some time at the end of the week.

I will setup the initial maven dirs and stuff. I will also add the
sandbox we spoke about.
So, hopefully, next week we will have some space that wants to get
filled with cool Java lines...

--Manfred

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 10/31/07, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > I have a suggestion that would solve this (and the naming as well):
> >
> > Let's start a new MLP* called "MyFaces JSF Commons"
> > which is itself an "umbrella" project for two artifacts** called
> > "MyFaces JSF Commons Utils" and "MyFaces JSF Commons Components"
> >
> > For the artifact names I propose:
> > "myfaces-jsfcommons-utils" and "myfaces-jsfcommons-components"
> I think this makes stuff again too complicated to be maintained in the
> future.
> You have two additional projects/modules, with maybe separate release
> cycles - and even if not, you have to release them both at the same time.
> Documentation and site is splitted, pom work is required to do twice, etc

We do not necessarily need separate release cycles. At least at the
beginning.
They would have a common parent pom of course.
So, once set up, there is not really additional effort during development or
releasing.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

> I have a suggestion that would solve this (and the naming as well):
>
> Let's start a new MLP* called "MyFaces JSF Commons"
> which is itself an "umbrella" project for two artifacts** called
> "MyFaces JSF Commons Utils" and "MyFaces JSF Commons Components"
>
> For the artifact names I propose:
> "myfaces-jsfcommons-utils" and "myfaces-jsfcommons-components"
I think this makes stuff again too complicated to be maintained in the
future.
You have two additional projects/modules, with maybe separate release
cycles - and even if not, you have to release them both at the same time.
Documentation and site is splitted, pom work is required to do twice, etc

My preference is to stick with just one MyFaces JSF Commons project -
<artifactId>myfaces-jsfcommons</artifactId>

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Smits <ro...@ronsmits.org>.
Grins

I give up :) as far as I am concerned call it that (booring!!! :) )

Ron

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
True!

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.

Posted by Ron Smits <ro...@ronsmits.org>.

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/30/07, Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not Apache Caribbean?

And risk offending the Atlantic sea snail ? I would think not !!

--
Grant Smith

Re: [result][vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
:-)

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Yep, KIFS - Keep It Flat and Simple.

For the same reason we should not put the Facelets project under
tomahawk - even though it may have tomahawk in its name. With the
projects names Manfred proposed this is easily possible.

Ciao,
Mario

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.
Hmm I don't know. I think we cannot really use MyFaces Commons for 2
reasons:

1. When I hear Commons I can only think of Jakarta;

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
It was already set, isn't it ???

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Smits <ro...@ronsmits.org>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
How about a new "ASF style" name instead of basic, commons or
something else that could be more easily misconstrued?

-A

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Just a note that all votes are binding, except when we're voting on
something specifically delegated to PMC members, those being releases,
committers, and pmc members.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1

:-)

Posted by alvaro tovar <al...@gmail.com>.
+1 i don´t understand, but anyway

Posted by Ernst Fastl <er...@gmail.com>.
+1 sounds great.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mindspring.com>.
+1 for the commons project.

Paul Spencer

Posted by Ron Smits <ro...@ronsmits.org>.
+1
And I would actually prefer not to have a split in commons1_2 and so on. We
have enough jars as it is.

Ron Smits

"common-bridge" and supported JSF versions was (Re: [vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project)

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
At the moment I am stuck with JSF 1.1.  This is due in part to the
version of Java available on some HP-UX servers.  Although I would like
to move to JSF 1.2, this will not occur in the near future.  If this is
a common situation, then I suggest JSF 1.1 AND JSF 1.2 should be
"current" relative to MyFaces projects.  Granted some project will not
support JSF 1.1, but the ones that do should continue to develop in the
JSF 1.1 environment.  The use of a "bridge" to simplify development
efforts for those projects that support 1.1 and 1.2 is a good idea.

Paul Spencer

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Mario,
In general agree with the need for a commons project.  Before voting, I
need some more information: