Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Michael Adams <li...@clear.net.nz> on 2011/11/02 08:09:54 UTC

Old OO.o Mailing Lists

Who now owns the website domain name?

What i am really asking is, how easy would it be to set up a temporary
forwarder for emails to a moderator from users@openoffice.org and
discuss@openoffice.org. If you own the A record and the mail server
it is easy.

My main concern stems from the fact that together they still generate
as much if not more mail/queries than this list.

--
Michael

Posted by Patrick Durusau <pa...@durusau.net>.
Rob,

Thanks! Still looking over the archives of discussion.

Patrick

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Durusau <pa...@durusau.net>.
Rob,

Posted by Michael Adams <li...@clear.net.nz>.
On Friday 04 November 2011 09:47, Michael Adams wrote:
> On Thursday 03 November 2011 00:48, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Michael Adams
>
> <li...@clear.net.nz> wrote:
> > > Who now owns the website domain name?
> > >
> > > What i am really asking is, how easy would it be to set up a
> > > temporary forwarder for emails to a moderator from
> > > users@openoffice.org and discuss@openoffice.org. If you own the
> > > A record and the mail server it is easy.
> > >
> > > My main concern stems from the fact that together they still
> > > generate as much if not more mail/queries than this list.
> >
> > Have yous seen the user list traffic lately?  Seems to be mainly
> > out-of-the-office notifications and users confused about how to
> > unsubscribe.  That leads to a death spiral for a list, as more of
> > this noise drives more people to unsubsbcribe.
>
> This months threads to date:
>  * One auto responder repeated three times
>  * One email advising the list is being replaced
>  * Six query threads
>
> Auto responders were always a pain to to the excessively low
> threshold to entry placed on the public OO.o lists i.e. no
> subscription necessary.

Correction ... a pain due to ...

--
Michael

Posted by Michael Adams <li...@clear.net.nz>.

--
Michael

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 11/2/2011 3:09 AM, Michael Adams wrote:

> Who now owns the website domain name?

Oracle has both legally and technically transferred ownership of the
openoffice.org domain, related domain names, and the various registered
trademarks and brands associated with OpenOffice.org to the Apache
Software Foundation.  The Apache OpenOffice podling's Project Management
Committee is now the group in charge of managing these services, and
they are working on creating a new build of the new product which (I
think) will be called Apache OpenOffice.

The immediate issue is that Oracle has begun shutting down some of the
servers provided to run openoffice.org services, so the Apache
OpenOffice podling is working to ensure there's an Apache-hosted version
of any services (like mailing lists) that we still want to maintain.

> What i am really asking is, how easy would it be to set up a temporary
> forwarder for emails to a moderator from users@openoffice.org and
> discuss@openoffice.org. If you own the A record and the mail server
> it is easy.

This doesn't really help, since the fundamental strategy for any Apache
project is to use apache.org domains for it's work.

For more specific information on the details of how mailing lists are
being migrated (or merged, or deleted as the case may be) folks should
look at the planning wiki for the AOOo (Apache OpenOffice.org) podling:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Mailing+lists

- Shane
   Apache OpenOffice podling Mentor

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@msn.com>.
As the author of both quoted messages, I want to point out that the ooo-dev
discussion thread addresses both mailing list shut-down and the
mostly-separate problem of the forwarding service for e-mail addresses on the
lines of myname@ openoffice.org.  The thread has since moved on (and I am
behind in my reading there, so shall not comment).

Also, while I stated the going in assumptions in my first message, it would be
useful to note that the ensuing thread is more dynamic and varied than that.
For example, more is now known about what Apache infrastructure might be able
to support, given the availability of suitably-prepared volunteers from among
the project members.

If you are going to selectively quote without attribution, please provide
links to the complete messages so that others can find the full conversation
if they so desire.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

?

Posted by Michael Adams <li...@clear.net.nz>.
On Wednesday 02 November 2011 21:17, Mike Scott wrote:
> On 02/11/11 07:09, Michael Adams wrote:
> > Who now owns the website domain name?
> >
> > What i am really asking is, how easy would it be to set up a
> > temporary forwarder for emails to a moderator from
> > users@openoffice.org and discuss@openoffice.org. If you own the A
> > record and the mail server it is easy.
>
> As you suggest, technically easy. But would it be desirable?
>
> There's already been quite a long notice period, and evidently
> people haven't switched over -- providing a "temporary" forwarding
> facility would only prolong the agony, as I reckon a goodly number
> of people will switch when and only when they're forced to, and not
> before. I'd rather see an autoreply from the old list address
> asking people to resubscribe.

In my own experience many newbies are/were seeing those old lists
as 'company' support (quite wrongly due to lack of understanding of
OSS community structure). When i write to support at a website often
an email from a different email address returns. I then start using
that email address as that person knows my case unless i am asked to
reply-to: the support address.

> > My main concern stems from the fact that together they still
> > generate as much if not more mail/queries than this list.
>
> Maybe there's some doubt in some people's minds as to which is the
> better list to get a needed answer from, so they stick to the tried
> and trusted. Besides, I could name at least one sufferer of
> 'chronic novophobia' :-)

Many threads are from those that ask periodic infrequent questions. "I
got good help here in the past, I now have another issue". They were
often unsubscribed querants, as that was how the lists were, rightly
or wrongly, set up.

--
Michael

I laughed so hard that tears ran down my leg.

Posted by Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk>.