Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2015/01/23 21:44:17 UTC

Please don't skip fixes to 0.98

HBASE-10499 is the latest example where there's a problem reported against
0.98 but the fix only goes in to 1.0 (or maybe even only 1.1). Certainly
fixing a problem in more than one branch is burdensome and I don't mind
pitching in for 0.98 backports, but we can't have problems reported against
0.98 remain unaddressed save for my vigilance looking at branch-1 commit
history for fixes people are leaving out. In effect this is a premature
declaration that 1.0 is our stable release. Hopefully that happens very
soon but that is not the case yet.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Please don't skip fixes to 0.98

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Thanks Ted, and although I used this issue as an example, it's not a
specific concern with one issue or individual. I think we're all ready to
graduate 1.0 and then let the 0.98 RM deal with maintaining an
older-than-current-stable version, which will be totally fine, but as I
said we're not quite there yet.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.