Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by bh...@actrix.gen.nz on 2011/03/25 05:23:24 UTC

IDE / Server Support

Hi,

How do you get fast deployment in development with large Wicket EJB
applications?

Wicket pages are ordinary class files that do not always seem to have
special redeployment support like JSP files or HTML files.

I have an EJB 3.1 app deployed on GlassFish 3.1. Web pages in the web
directory deploy automatically in milliseconds, but whenever I save a
Java class file, deploy on save deploys the whole application.

This is not a big deal with hello world apps, but it hurts badly
otherwise. As an example I tried the Wicket example application with
hundreds of class files which takes more than half a minute to deploy
on fast computers, and during that time, the IDE freezes.

I thought that a decent servlet container should be able to detect
single class file changes and hot-deploy them individually. But I
might be wrong. The NetBeans folks think otherwise and refer me to the
GlassFish server docs.

I don't care so much about their view because what matters to me is
the fact that - say a PHP developer - just saves his files and hits
the reload button, and that is what I try to get, too. Otherwise I
feel I am fighting an uphill battle.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Bernard

Re: IDE / Server Support

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Most of us run our app servers locally in debug mode.  Also, you
should check out JRebel.

Re: IDE / Server Support

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.
 take a look at: