Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by ChadDavis <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/10 19:42:16 UTC

dumb question, possible off topic

I'm writing code to handle binary files.  I'm following the
specifications recommended use of the nt:file and nt:resource node
types.  Perhaps just because it's there, I'm trying to do wrap my head
around what I could be doing with the encoding attribute.  But I
clearly am lacking some info:

1) This would only apply to text files, correct?  And it would mostly
apply to enabling applications trying to work with those text files
the ability to process the "upper" characters, the ones that differ
between the various encodings.  Is this accurate?

2) And then, my conclusion is that this encoding property would most
likely be used in scenarios in which the binary file was being
processed or created in the code, as opposed to entering the system as
a file upload?  This isn't a part of a multipart request's info, as
far as I know, though I have not read that RFC in more than a few
months ;)