Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Braun <n3...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/12 15:12:32 UTC

Hardware-Aware Solr Coud Sharding?

We have a case of a Solr Cloud cluster with different kinds of nodes - some
may have significant differences in hardware specs (50-100% more
HD/RAM/CPU, etc). Ideally nodes with increased resources could take on more
shard replicas.

It looks like the Collections API (
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/collections-api.html) supports
only even splitting of shards when using compositeId routing.

The way to handle this right now looks to be running additional Solr
instances on nodes with increased resources to balance the load (so if the
machines are 1x, 1.5x, and 2x, run 2 instances, 3 instances, and 4
instances, respectively). Has anyone looked into other ways of handling
this that don't require the additional Solr instance deployments?

-Michael

Re: Hardware-Aware Solr Coud Sharding?

Posted by Michael Braun <n3...@gmail.com>.
Ended up working well with nodeset EMPTY and placing all replicas manually.
Thank you all for the assistance!

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
What does your base hardware configuration look like?

You could have several VM's on machines with higher configuration.

Deepak
"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are
treated. Please consider stopping the cruelty by becoming a Vegan"

+91 73500 12833
deicool@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deicool
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool