Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Nishant Gupta <ni...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/25 09:26:07 UTC

Joins Usage Clarification

Hi Team,

There are 3 types of window join (Tumbling, Session, and Sliding) and 1
interval Join as mentioned in (For Table API)
[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.9/dev/stream/operators/joining.html
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.9/dev/stream/operators/joining.html#interval-join>

Plus, there is 1 Time window Join as mentioned in (For SQL)
[2]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.9/dev/table/sql.html#joins

Need some clarifications/answers to below doubts
1. Can some one help me understand how Time window join is different from
Interval Join. Looks like same to me
2. How do I implement session window join in Flink SQL? With an example
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nishant

Re: Joins Usage Clarification

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nishant,

To answer your questions:
1) yes, the SQL time-windowed join and the DataStream API Interval Join are
the same (with different implementations though)
2) DataStream Session-window joins are not directly supported in SQL. You
can play some tricks to make it work, but it wouldn't be elegant and to be
honest, the semantics of the session-window join are not really meaningful,
IMO.

Fabian