Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2008/01/21 21:19:35 UTC

App development and Tuscany JAR dependencies, was: SCA runtimes

Simon Nash wrote:
[snip]

>> - Does the app developer need to know what Tuscany and dependency JARs
>> are required by his SCA contributions?
>>
>> - Under which circumstances does the app packager want to package the
>> Tuscany and dependency JARs with the application artifacts.
>>
>> - Which containers are we supporting and what kind of integration with
>> them? Tomcat is just one example, Geronimo, JMS providers, embedded
>> Jetty are others.
>>
>> - Does the app developer need to know ahead of time which container
>> integration his app is going to be deployed to. For example can I use
>> the EJB, WS and JMS bindings together in one app, and which container
>> integration is going to support that?
>>
>> - What distro Zips are we building and what do they contain? just the
>> runtime? samples or not? dependencies or not? are we building
>> specialized distros for different use cases?
>>
>> Would it make sense to spawn separate threads for these different topics?
>  >
> With a big topic like this, dividing it into separate threads makes it
> easier for people to follow and participate in the discussions.  The
> split you are suggesting looks good to me.

OK, I'm going to try to address the first item:

Does the app developer need to know what Tuscany and dependency JARs are
required to compile the artifacts in his SCA contributions?

Here are some thoughts:

- the app developer develops an SCA contribution

- he needs to know which JARs provide the SCA spec and Tuscany APIs that
he's using in his application artifacts (for example Java clients
and component implementations).

- the API JARs should not drag dependencies on Tuscany internal JARs

- the API JARs potentially depend on other JARs (JAX-* for example)

I think we should make it easier for the application developer to find
which of these JARs he needs and express compile dependencies on them
(and their transitive dependencies).

As a starting point, I'd suggest to separate the API JARs from the
others in the distribution structure. Then review our samples and
investigate what an app developer needs to write to express the
dependencies (using Maven, Ant, or his favorite IDE).

Thoughts?
--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: App development and Tuscany JAR dependencies, was: SCA runtimes

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Let's assume we develop a very simple SCA java application (for example, one
java component talks to another java component) with tuscany. We'll need the
following jars (and their transitive dependencies) to compile my application
code:
* SCA spec APIs
* Tuscany APIs

Optionally, if the component implementation code uses other libraries, then
we need:
* 3rd party APIs

At this stage, we focus on the development time (i.e, to write compilable
code).

In short, I agree with Sebastien's analysis.

Thanks,
Raymond