Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Clifton <cl...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/03 20:41:45 UTC

Assembly howto?

Hello all,

We have a requirement to build a customized tomcat bundle for deployment. We
currently make a tarball of tomcat bundled with our webapps and give this to
another team responsible for putting everything into production. The only
real requirements is that the bundle is handed off in tar.gz format and that
the bin, common, and shared folders are actually sym links to predetermined
paths. I'm new to the Maven assembly plugin but I'm thinking this is the guy
I would use to accomplish the task. Now my question is how would I set up my
build? We currently have a multi-module project containing the majority of
our project and another separate war project which is actually a client
distribution server. (The client part of our client/server product is
distributed through this other war.) The distribution server must be
deployed live first so that the build for the rest of the app can talk to it
(via HTTP) and deploy the client. Should I create yet another project/pom to
pull both projects together and bundle tomcat as well? Should I fold the
distribution war into the other multi-module project? Do we need to start
checking in pieces of Tomcat? Can I use the assembly plugin to package all
the pieces together some clever way without requiring a live running war to
complete the second half of deployment? So many questions, so little
answers!

Re: Assembly howto?

Posted by Clifton <cl...@gmail.com>.
At the advice of a good friend I'm going to put this together in Ant (or
maybe Gant) as an external concern. The reason being there's additional
complexity that I can't explain as well in a bulletin board posting. I'll
revisit the topic when I get a working solution and then we can discuss
if/how to address this with Maven.